Bheki Cele addressed the media on Monday afternoon where he shared news of a significant breakthrough in the hunt for Senzo Meyiwa’s killers…
Monday 26 October marked the six-year anniversary of Senzo Meyiwa’s death. Police Minister Bheki Cele delivered an important update regarding the investigations into Senzo’s still-unsolved murder. The minister confirmed that his team had made a breakthrough in the ongoing case and had since arrested 5 suspects on Monday morning. “At this point, we cannot reveal any further information as investigations are still ongoing and more arrests cannot be ruled out,” said Cele.
6 Years since Senzo’s murder
It was on this day in 2014 that the former Bafana Bafana goalkeeper was slain after an alleged robbery attempt took a fatal turn. Since then, despite numerous promises from several high profile individuals in the policing system, there have been very few tangible leads in the bid to find those behind the murder of the Orlando Pirates #1.
This all changed after Bheki Cele confirmed that he and his team had made key arrests, adding that he believed they had a “watertight case”.
Cele praises police efforts
The police minister has not had an easy time when it comes to trying to find Senzo’s killers but on Monday afternoon he announced that the South African Police Services had made significant progress in closing the drawn-out investigation.
“In 2018, the National Commissioner established a cold case team in response to many calls on various criminal cases which have not been successfully investigated,” said Cele. “Months later, the murder case of Senzo Meyiwa was assigned to the cold case unit.
Since then, the unit has worked tirelessly on this case.”
The minister could not reveal any further details as the investigations were still ongoing, but he confidently stated that his team was on the right trail when he added, “The South African Police Service and the prosecution team are confident that we have a water- tight case against all five suspects. At this point, we cannot reveal any further information as investigations are still ongoing and more arrests cannot be ruled out.”
He also took a moment to praise his troops. The investigating officers on this case have been heavily criticised for not making swifter progress over the past few years, but Cele defended his ministry when he said, “Despite heavy criticism from some quarters, I have always maintained that I am satisfied the murder investigation is progressing well. I have on numerous occasions also expressed my confidence that those suspected of this crime will be found and brought to book.”
Minister Cele slams media leaks
A day before the anniversary of Senzo’s death, Sunday Independent exclusively revealed that police officers had identified five suspects in connection with the footballer’s murder. According to their report, a warrant of arrest was issued for the five alleged hitmen on Wednesday the 21st of October.
This report appears to correlate with Bheki Cele’s update, but the police minister moved swiftly to condemn the actions of the media, claiming these leaks were doing more damage to the case than good. Cele said during his press conference, “We really condemn these leaks and strongly believe that information may have been leaked in an attempt to derail the investigations.”
He added that, in future, any leaked information would be dealt with harshly when he said, “This is why moving forward, the investigation team will be considering opening a case or cases of defeating the ends of justice to ensure such leaks never occur again.”
National Commissioner General Sitole also addressed the media. According to Sitole, “of the 5 suspects arrested, one of them is the suspected triggerman.” He noted that forensic evidence connects the suspect to the scene as well as the murder weapon.
Meyiwa murder conspiracy theories are still rife
From the outside, these recent reports might indicate some long-overdue progress in the pursuit of Senzo’s killers. However, many social media users remain unconvinced by the latest comments coming out of the police department. Instead, it is a number of conspiracy theories that continue to grab the most attention, particularly those that allege that Kelly Khumalo, her sister Zandie and Longwe Twala are at the heart of the real events that played out back in 2014.
Closer to closure
Cele’s Monday update hopefully means that the Meyiwa family is one step closer to receiving closure over the murder of their son. One of the most tragic moments in this still-unsolved case came when Sam Meyiwa, Senzo’s father, passed away before learning the truth about how his son died.
The truth won’t bring Sam or Senzo back, but it will certainly go a long way towards allowing the rest of their family members to live with the knowledge that justice has finally been served.
This is a developing story and we will continue to monitor and report on key updates as they happen…
Bafana Bafana and Orlando Pirates captain Senzo Meyiwa’s tombstone has been vandalised, to the anguish of his family.
While AfriForum’s private prosecution unit believes that reasons given to it around how five men arrested for their involvement in the murder of former Bafana Bafana goalkeeper Senzo Meyiwa make sense, their families are not convinced…
Senzo Meyiwa’s tombstone was unveiled in front of his friends, family and Bafana Bafana players at the beginning of this week.
Proceedings in the Boksburg Magistrate’s Court was an event to be beheld on Tuesday morning as five men appeared for their alleged involvement in the murder of former Bafana Bafana goalkeeper Senzo Meyiwa…
Following the most recent trend, we took a look at 5 times Kelly has spoken out about the murder of Senzo Meyiwa.