Idols SA judge Unathi Nkayi shared an Instagram live story on Wednesday in which she detailed how MTN allegedly overcharged her on her account…

She titled the video “incompetence” and it has reached almost 100,000 views after the celeb shared the complaint with her 844 000 followers.

“I don’t want to do this, but I feel I need to… because there are so many people complaining about you,” begins Unathi in the three-minute clip.

She says that her account has been suspended for two weeks, for no reason. The suspension has left her without contact with friends and family, and she was devastated to find out that her uncle had passed away. Her family wasn’t able to tell her about the death or funeral plans.

While she has spoken to numerous staff members and managers at the service provider, no one can tell her what the issue is, or why her account has been suspended. To top it all off, she says that she’s also been overcharged.

Subscribe to our Free Daily All4Women Newsletter to enter

“My account is R2,400 per month, but you’ve deducted R5,100 since June…”

 

View this post on Instagram

 

@mtnza

A post shared by Unathi.Africa (@unathi.co) on

This is not the first time the celeb has had issues with the mobile service provider

She says that in September last year, R11k was deducted from her account!

She’s logged tickets, spoken to staff, spoken to managers, and her account is still blocked!

Unathi has been with the service provider since 1997 – that’s 23 years. “How long do you think you’re going to get away with this?” she asks. “How long do you expect us to stay with you when so many competitors are doing better than you. This is thoroughly disappointing.”

MTN responded to her post

The service provider responded to her video, offering condolences and assuring her that the issue was being dealt with.

“Hi Unathi,

“Please accept our condolences on the passing of your uncle. We are saddened to learn that during this difficult time, as your cellular service provider we have disappointed you.

“Rest assured; we are investigating and will ensure that this is resolved.

“In the meantime we have removed the suspension on your line and will get in touch with you telephonically ASAP.”

Social media outcry

Unathi’s video received hundreds of responses from other South Africans who say they have had a similarly bad experience with the provider.

  • snow240984 says “I paid them so that I can cancel my contract in 2016 I’ve never regretted it. Blatant disregard for customers and rude.”
  • Mahlangulucy says “I’m having the some problem with MTN and sad part No one has the answer for this”
  • qween_que wants her contract cancelled “@mtnza so the only time you answer to people is when you are dragged on social media!! Okay let me take this platform to query once again how and why you still have not cancelled my contract that you fraudulently opened!! It’s over 6 months I have only been getting the same “still under investigation” boring line. Even to get as far as I got I had to through Hello peter!!! Your service is appalling really!!!! #incompetent @mtnza”