Media personality Somizi Mhlongo has denied steeling his cooking show idea from a content producer named Hastings Moeng…

The allegations were made public by journalist Eusebius McKaiser on Twitter last week.

McKaiser tweeted correspondence that Moeng is said to have sent to Mhlongo to propose the show back in 2014.

“The description of the show is materially similar to the one now flighted,” said McKaiser.

Following days of speculation and social media commentary, Mhlongo finally broke his silence in an interview with Newzroom Afrika on Saturday.

Subscribe to our Free Daily All4Women Newsletter to enter

 

Mhlongo admitted that he was approached by Moeng about the cooking show in 2013 but denied seeing any document in relation to Moeng’s proposal.

“It came as a shock that he sent me emails, which I don’t dispute, but I have never opened the document,” explained the Idols judge.

“Anyone who knows me will tell you that I don’t, I’m not an email person.”

Mhlongo said that he’d only gotten back to using email communication two months ago, after not having email for five years. His management team handles his emails.

“When he approached me, I never even thought I would want to have a cooking show in the first place,” said Mhlongo.

Since the allegations surfaced, social media has been a hive of activity with some people defending Mhlongo, saying the idea was not unique to being with, while others are convinced the cooking show idea is not a Mhlongo original.