Crispy wafer, soft marshmallow centre, and coated in chocolate… what more could a candy bar offer?
Sadly, after satisfying sweet tooth cravings in South Africa for over 50 years, Nestlé has confirmed that it will be discontinuing the Chocolate Log.
News of the demise of one of Mzansi’s favourite treats first trended on social media when speciality food supplier, Aubergine Speciality Foods, raised the alarm. The store exports iconic South African foods to Canada including Damascus Nougat, Wellington’s Sweet Chilli sauce, and Freshpack Rooibos.
On Monday, the store stated that Chocolate Logs would no longer be available.
Aubergine Speciality Foods’s post elicited over 1,500 comments, with many lamenting the Chocolate Log’s demise:
Many recalled another firm favourite, the Caravan chocolate which was also discontinued a number of years back.
- Amina Nicholas: I used to LOVE Caravan and Chocolate Log was a close second after they discontinued that too
- Rose Rosella Olmesdahl Rudolph: I just cant understand that. Why discontinue something that is such a hit
- Marcia Pretorius: Nestle, PLEASE DON’T STOP MAKING ‘Chocolate Log’… It’s an ‘all in one chocolate sweet, so good as a treat for kiddies to the elderly. One of the best chocolates ever created in the world, it’s a family favourite
- Milisa Kentane: I am so sad. I bought mine squished or not, of it was the last one. My favourite since childhood. So wounded
- Susan Rheeder: WHY?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It has been my favourite for years? Please consider NOT doing it.
According to a report on Cape Town etc, the news was confirmed by a Nestlé spokesperson. The company is planning to replace the bar with new products it is bringing to market.
All4Women also reached out to Nestlé for comment. According to Head of Public Relations, Zweli Mnisi, the brand understands that its discontinuation may somehow disappoint some of its loyal consumers.
Mnisi issued the statement below:
“As Nestlé, our purpose is to delight our consumers through tastier and healthier products. We know that one of the main drivers of the chocolate category is innovation and that consumers love new products. Taking this into consideration, we do discontinue certain products and introduce new ones to the market.”
“The Nestlé Chocolate Log has been a loved brand for over 50 years and we thank our loyal consumers for their support over these years. We equally understand that its discontinuation may somehow disappoint some of our loyal consumers. Excitedly though, we are bringing a variety of delicious chocolates in the coming months and we urge our consumers to be on the lookout!”
Ghost Pops remain an iconic SA snack
Last week, South Africans were relieved to find that one of their favourite savoury snacks (which has been missing during the lockdown period) would be back on selves shortly.
Meghna Laxman, Senior Communications Manager for SIMBA, a wholly owned subsidiary of PepsiCo Inc., allayed consumers’ fears. “Ghost Pops have NOT been discontinued,” assures Laxman. “We had to make some difficult choices because of lockdown and COVID-19 restrictions as to which brands we produce, but we will be bringing Ghost Pops back to the stores soon”