Dutch prosecutors are demanding 20 years in prison for a 57-year-old man charged with killing his partner before chopping her up and hiding her body parts in places “dear to her”
The defendant, identified as Bart B. is accused of killing his partner Miranda Zitman, 52, at their home in Soest in the Netherlands in 2018. Bart maintains that he is innocent, however.
He denies killing his wife, but admits to chopping her up “out of respect” before burying body parts in areas “dear to her”. According to him, his wife fell down the stairs while she was in the process of leaving him with her packed bags.
Prosecutors, said that her injuries were not consistent with falling down the stairs and that no traces of blood were found at the bottom. Prosecutors believe the cause of death was a blow to the head.
The defendant then allegedly chopped her body into pieces before burying them in places “dear to her”.
According to local media, the victim’s torso was found in a suitcase dumped in the water in Zuider IJdijk in Amsterdam while the victim’s head and arms were buried in the garden.
Below: A courtroom sketch of the accused:
— Saskia Belleman (@SaskiaBelleman) June 15, 2020
The 52-year-old woman’s legs are reportedly still missing
Reports said that Bart B. continued to pretend that his wife was alive for weeks after she was allegedly killed and eventually reported her missing in January 2019.
He reportedly sent messages to her family and business clients on her behalf.
According to local media, a total of 116 000 EUR (over R2,2 million) was transferred from her account to the defendant’s.
He told the court that his wife had transferred the money herself, but prosecutors suspect he had arranged it, according to reports.
The couple had been together for nearly 20 years, but she left him for an old flame in Canada and she was due to move out on 28 December 2018, according to reports.
Bart B. said she fell down the stairs after packing her bags and died instantly.
The court in the Dutch city of Utrecht will rule on 3 July.