“Reality Check” is an article series which looks at common mistakes people make when they begin dieting for weight loss. We’ll check out some ‘thought adjustments’ that will help you make better choices on your journey. The articles include tips, new ideas to try, strategies to follow, and encouragement to keep you moving forward.
Ramp up your immunity with protein
In these times of staying in isolation as much as we can, avoiding contact with people who may be ill, and trying to stay as healthy and sane as possible, we really need some ways to charge up our immune systems to fight for us.
This is especially true for people who are sick, or old, or both.
One of the easiest things to do to make sure your immunity is heightened is to eat extra protein. This is because one of the things that protein molecules (amino acids) do is turn your immune system cells into sickness fighters, rather than just sickness resisters. This means that with extra protein in your system you’re giving yourself the best possible chance of fighting off an infection as quickly as you can, so you don’t get the worst of it.
And, by the way, it doesn’t matter where your protein comes from – meat or vegetables – it matters that you get enough of it into your body. So however you do it, do it. I like the ease of a protein shake, so I can enjoy whatever meal I’m eating without worrying about the macronutrient content. Works for me. Try it.
Read more in the ‘reality check’ series below:
- Weight loss reality check: What exactly is processed food, and is it ALL bad?
- Weight loss reality check: How to form long-lasting habits
- Weight loss reality check: How about something easy for a change?
- Weight loss reality check: Who’s benefitting from your diet plan?
- Weight loss reality check: Are your goals good for you?
- Weight loss reality check: Your relationship with food is key
- Weight loss reality check: What is a ‘healthy’ body weight, anyway?
- Weight loss reality check: New Year’s (every) day
- Weight loss reality check: New year, new you? Here’s the uncomfortable truth
- Weight loss reality check: Some extra calories are better than others?
- Weight loss reality check: Holiday diet dos and don’ts
- Weight loss reality check: The caveman diet?
- Weight loss reality check: Should you eat like a lion?
- Weight loss reality check: Don’t turn to food for comfort
- Weight loss reality check: Maybe you need to eat MORE
Join BLOOM REWARDS to access these awesome health and fitness deals!
While All4Women endeavours to ensure health articles are based on scientific research, health articles should not be considered as a replacement for professional medical advice. Should you have concerns related to this content, it is advised that you discuss them with your personal healthcare provider.