“Reality Check” is an article series which looks at common mistakes people make when they begin dieting for weight loss. We’ll check out some ‘thought adjustments’ that will help you make better choices on your journey. The articles include tips, new ideas to try, strategies to follow, and encouragement to keep you moving forward.
What exactly is processed food, and is it ALL bad?
The whole diet industry is headed in the direction of eating fresh, healthy food. And while fresh food is undoubtedly good for you, there is also a strong argument to be made that CERTAIN processed food can be an important role-player in a successful weight loss plan.
But first, what is “processed” food, anyway?
Simply put, processed food is any food which is no longer in its natural state. That means that food in a can, has added ingredients, or has been baked, cooked, or prepared is all processed.
What that means is that processed food is EVERYWHERE, and some of it is not that bad, right?
I mean, if you’re buying broccoli that’s been chopped into segments, that’s processed food. Or if you buy stoneground sourdough bread, that’s processed. Or if you decide to have a tin of tuna, that’s processed.
So “processed” is a bit of a misleading term. What you want to avoid is food that has been processed in such a way as to degrade it, like deep-frying, or being preserved by potentially harmful chemicals.
So, basically, you want to avoid unhealthy food, however it comes, processed or not. That’s the key to weight loss.
Read more in the ‘reality check’ series below:
- Weight loss reality check: How to form long-lasting habits
- Weight loss reality check: How about something easy for a change?
- Weight loss reality check: Who’s benefitting from your diet plan?
- Weight loss reality check: Are your goals good for you?
- Weight loss reality check: Your relationship with food is key
- Weight loss reality check: What is a ‘healthy’ body weight, anyway?
- Weight loss reality check: New Year’s (every) day
- Weight loss reality check: New year, new you? Here’s the uncomfortable truth
- Weight loss reality check: Some extra calories are better than others?
- Weight loss reality check: Holiday diet dos and don’ts
- Weight loss reality check: The caveman diet?
- Weight loss reality check: Should you eat like a lion?
- Weight loss reality check: Don’t turn to food for comfort
- Weight loss reality check: Maybe you need to eat MORE
Join BLOOM REWARDS to access these awesome health and fitness deals!