Humour on the job will do a lot for your career, but there are a number of things you need to know about laughter and humour in the place of work.
A good laugh does wonders for office stress levels
A good laugh will do wonders for you as smiling and laughing lowers your stress levels, wins you a friendly reputation, and helps your usually tense co-workers and bosses to relax.
Feeling good and having humour in our lives can do wonders for our position and productivity, which means that there is definitely a place for some humour on the job. Having a smiling face will help your co-workers and supervisors feel better being around you, and you may well end up reaping rewards by laughing more in the workplace. But you need to know how to apply humour in your work environment.
Laughing has been proven to be a huge stress reliever, letting you feel better and becoming more productive. To be able to loosen up and have some fun is great, so why not take that approach to work each day and lighten up around the work place? Smiling can make your job easier, more than ever if you work in customer service or sales. But there’s certainly a right and incorrect way to use humour in the workplace.
Avoid controversy when you’re making a joke
1. One of the main rules with humour in the workplace is to avoid controversy when you are joking on the job. Stay well away from joking about political affairs, race and religion.
2. Sex is another unsafe topic because of sexual harassment in the workplace. Make sure that you stay well within the lines of decency.
3. Never make fun at other people within your organization, as you are trying to win friends with the people you work with, and not set against them. If you can’t help yourself, please be extremely careful.
4. Poking fun at the work you do or the industry you work in is a good way to earn some smiles from your co-workers and supervisors. While these types of workplace jokes may not be so funny at home or with friends, as they really don’t appreciate the pressures of your employment, the people who are around you in your job will definitely appreciate the humour about their frustrations and will be able to laugh over the situations instead of complaining.
5. Making jokes about the ups and downs of your trade is a safe way to add wit to the place of work. You will have the benefit of knowing precisely what your co-workers have to face each and every day, and it’s much better as it helps to let go of tensions and lower stress levels by getting them to chuckle about the situations they come across frequently.
The best time for humour is when you’re taking a break
The very best time for some humour is when you are not working, but still in the region of the people you work with, such as a coffee or lunch break. You can also make an effort to be funny on the job, but when you are working, it’s a good idea to use jokes much more thinly than you would normally do.
In general, humour in the workplace is a superb area to flex your creative muscles and give your job a little boost.
Humour in the workplace helps stress levels to drop, and your co-workers will feel better about working with you. Start gradually, and add a few more safe jokes here and there to incite a few smiles. Everyone will feel better because of your efforts.
About The Author
Lionel Estridge has tailored a special package for anyone who has taken the time read this article. Get hold of the package go to:www.lionel1.com