Last updated on Jun 16th, 2020 at 12:29 am
“Exercise for Weight Loss” is an article series detailing the most successful exercise strategies that can be used to assist in speeding up the weight loss process, and help you end-up with a sleek, toned physique once your body weight gets down to your goal-weight.
How to form long-lasting habits
“I’ve tried to form new habits so many times, but they always tend to fall away. What’s the secret?”
One of the reasons so many people fail on their diets is because they are unable to form new habits that stand the test of time. They try to change many things to create a healthier lifestyle, but they don’t actually change anything for very long, leading to frustration, and ultimately a sense of failure.
Don’t be that person
If you want to form new habits, there are a few secrets that will make a big impact on their effectiveness.
- The first is to tell someone you trust what you want to achieve, and how you’re going to do it. Ask them to encourage you through the process.
- Then you need to start by changing one thing at a time – too many changes leads to no real changes.
Start with the biggest change first, and work a new one in every two weeks. So for example, if you want to cut down on carbs in your diet, cut out bread immediately, and swap it out for healthier options like wraps or rice cakes.
Once you’re used to the first ‘change’, then add a new lifestyle habit to your daily routine.
This has the added effect of making the diet progressive, so you continue to lose weight just by adding a new habit. Plus, every time you add a new habit, your confidence has grown because of the success of the previous one.
The last thing to note is that you need to give yourself time to succeed
Giving yourself two weeks to lose fifty kilogrammes is unrealistic, and can only end in misery. Give yourself a real chance by allowing a realistic timeline for your process to work. You’ll end up smiling.[bloom_item br-item-guid=”3da85c03-ade4-40b4-93f4-822b92778a8a” br-style=”1″]
Read more in the ‘reality check’ series below:
- Weight loss reality check: How about something easy for a change?
- Weight loss reality check: Who’s benefitting from your diet plan?
- Weight loss reality check: Are your goals good for you?
- Weight loss reality check: Your relationship with food is key
- Weight loss reality check: What is a ‘healthy’ body weight, anyway?
- Weight loss reality check: New Year’s (every) day
- Weight loss reality check: New year, new you? Here’s the uncomfortable truth
- Weight loss reality check: Some extra calories are better than others?
- Weight loss reality check: Holiday diet dos and don’ts
- Weight loss reality check: The caveman diet?
- Weight loss reality check: Should you eat like a lion?
- Weight loss reality check: Don’t turn to food for comfort
- Weight loss reality check: Maybe you need to eat MORE
Join BLOOM REWARDS to access these awesome health and fitness deals!
[bloom_fav br-fav-id=”24″, br-inc-header=”no”]
While All4Women endeavours to ensure health articles are based on scientific research, health articles should not be considered as a replacement for professional medical advice. Should you have concerns related to this content, it is advised that you discuss them with your personal healthcare provider.