New York (dpa) – Opera star Placido Domingo apologised on Tuesday for “the hurt that I caused” to several women who have accused him of sexual harassment

The famed tenor had so far denied the allegations, which prompted US cultural institutions to distance themselves from him after they emerged last year.

“I have taken time over the last several months to reflect on the allegations that various colleagues of mine have made against me,” the 79-year-old said in a statement issued to the Los Angeles Times newspaper.

“I respect that these women finally felt comfortable enough to speak out, and I want them to know that I am truly sorry for the hurt that I caused them,” he said.

“I accept full responsibility for my actions, and I have grown from this experience.”

Subscribe to our Free Daily All4Women Newsletter to enter

Domingo’s apology came after an investigation by a US union representing opera performers, which found that he had “engaged in inappropriate activity, ranging from flirtation to sexual advances, in and outside of the workplace”

“Many of the witnesses expressed fear of retaliation in the industry as their reason for not coming forward sooner,” the American Guild of Musical Artists said, adding that it would “take appropriate action”.

Last year several female singers and one dancer accused Domingo of unwelcome kisses, hugs, nightly telephone calls and of pressuring them to meet him privately.

Following the accusations, Domingo resigned as general director of the Los Angeles Opera in October, a position he had had since 2003.

He had previously announced that he would no longer perform at the New York Metropolitan Opera.

Author: ANA Entertainment