“Reality Check” is an article series which looks at common mistakes people make when they begin dieting for weight loss. We’ll check out some ‘thought adjustments’ that will help you make better choices on your journey. The articles include tips, new ideas to try, strategies to follow, and encouragement to keep you moving forward.
Are your goals good for you?
“My goal is to diet down until I weigh 45kg…”
If you’re dieting for extreme weight loss, without regard for the health consequences of your actions, then you need to reconsider your plan.
The media and fashion industries have convinced us that being attractive means looking like a coat hangar. But this is not HEALTHY. Being uber skinny is not how our bodies function optimally. If you’re starving yourself to lose fat, you’re also starving your body of healthy nutrients and vitamins. You’re going to feel weak, lethargic, moody, and you will eventually encounter some very serious health complications.
What you SHOULD be aiming for is a healthy lifestyle and weight loss regime. Incorporating weight loss into an overall goal of living a healthy, balanced lifestyle.
I can’t tell you what you should weigh, but I can tell you this – being lighter won’t always make you happier. Learning to listen to your body, strengthening your muscles, toning, and feeding your body all the best nutrition it needs to function at its best WILL make you far more satisfied with your life overall. You’ll be proud of your achievements, and your progress, and you’ll be able to live a far more fulfilled and active life because of it.
Read more in the ‘reality check’ series below:
- Weight loss reality check: Your relationship with food is key
- Weight loss reality check: What is a ‘healthy’ body weight, anyway?
- Weight loss reality check: New Year’s (every) day
- Weight loss reality check: New year, new you? Here’s the uncomfortable truth
- Weight loss reality check: Some extra calories are better than others?
- Weight loss reality check: Holiday diet dos and don’ts
- Weight loss reality check: The caveman diet?
- Weight loss reality check: Should you eat like a lion?
- Weight loss reality check: Don’t turn to food for comfort
- Weight loss reality check: Maybe you need to eat MORE