(By Susannah Binsted )
Exchange rates can make a massive difference to the cost of a holiday…
For those looking to make their rand go further, we’ve pulled together the top ten best travel destinations based on currency gains over the last year.
To determine our list, www.finder.com compared exchange rates via XE.com on 1 January 2019 with those on 1 January 2020. We then pulled out the top ten that showed the greatest growth for the South African rand, excluding any destinations that were noted as “high” risk level on travelriskmap.com.
Where you should travel to make your rand go further
Topping the list is Argentina, with the rand 64% stronger against the Argentinian peso than it was at the same time last year. That means R1 000 is now worth an additional 1,658 Argentinian pesos.
In second place is Uruguay, with the rand increasing 17% against the Uruguayan peso – time for a South American holiday anyone? South America actually dominated the top ten list with a total of four countries, including Paraguay and Chile, making the cut.
10 of the cheapest currencies for South Africans in 2020
- Argentinian peso: 64% more per rand
- Uruguayan peso: 17% more per rand
- Turkish lira: 15% more per rand
- Paraguayan guarani: 11% more per rand
- Chilean peso: 9% more per rand
- Mauritian rupee: 8% more per rand
- Swedish krona: 8% more per rand
- Hungarian forint: 8% more per rand
- Dominican peso: 8% more per rand
- Romanian leu: 8% more per rand
The Argentinian peso has topped our list for sporting the biggest drop against the rand. If you haven’t learned the tango in the country that formed it, what are you waiting for?
- How much am I saving? For every R1 000, you’ll be getting an extra 1,658 Argentinian pesos compared to last year.
- What is there to do in Argentina? Experiences range from the buzz of Buenos Aires to immersing yourself in the beauty of glaciers. See how much it will cost to fly here.