An appliance which exploded after load shedding may have caused a fire in the room of a 35-year-old Free State nurse at Albert Nzula Hospital during the early hours of Tuesday morning

“The nurse who was sleeping in her room at the Nurses Home of Albert Nzula Hospital was woken up by flames and fumes that filled her room. She woke up and ran to safety,” spokesperson for the Free State Department of Health, Mondli Mvambi, said in a statement on Tuesday.

Neighbours came to her rescue and stopped the fire from spreading further.

“The nearby emergency officers were called to the scene and she was eventually admitted [to] the hospital for treatment,” Mvambi added.

The nurse has since been stabilised and discharged from hospital.

Subscribe to our Free Daily All4Women Newsletter to enter

Mvambi further noted that the nurse had been moved to another room, pending investigations into the incident by the Infrastructure Unit.

The department believes that the fire may have been caused by an appliance exploding in her room when electricity returned after a few hours of load shedding.

CEO of Albert Nzula Hospital, Dr Mosebe Thejane, expressed shock at the incident that nearly claimed the life of the nurse.

“We are pleased that our colleague is safe and sound whilst speedily recovering at the hospital,” he said.

South Africa is currently experiencing Stage 4 load shedding.

Accommodation offers from

20,000 listings in 2,000 locations with 10,000 reviews.

18% DISCOUNT – From R1222 p/night

Hudsons on Twelfth

Rivonia, Gauteng

Valid until April 30 2020

66% DISCOUNT – From R1440 R518 p/night

Silver Forest Boutique Lodge and Spa

Helderberg, Somerset West

For stays between 1 Jul & 30 Sep 2020

35% DISCOUNT – From R1524 p/night

The Atrium 30

Durban, KwaZulu-Natal

Valid until April 30 2020

 

Author: News24.com