WARNING: FOOTAGE MAY BE DISTURBING TO SENSITIVE VIEWERS

A woman was left fighting for her life in a coma after contracting a deadly flesh-eating bug – from a cat scratch…

Shirley Hair, 65, almost died after her Siamese cat, Chan, scratched her hand and the wound became infected.

According to Hair, the cat’s scratch “broke the skin. It was quite deep, but not very long”. She didn’t think much of the incident at the time, but the following day, the skin was a little red and swollen. She then started experiencing what she though were flu symptoms. “I ached all over,” said Hair.

After a visit to the doctor, and a course of broad spectrum antibiotics, she wasn’t feeling any better and the symptoms became worse and worse. The infection started to travel up her arm, and her blood pressure skyrocketed.

Hair was immediately booked into hospital where she fell into a coma. Doctors gave her just a 50% chance of survival. She was diagnosed with sepsis, septic shock, organ failure, pneumonia and necrotising fasciitis (NF).

WIN a R 2,000 Woolworths Voucher

Subscribe to our Free Daily All4Women Newsletter to enter

She spent five days in a coma and six weeks in hospital.

Watch the video above to find out more about Hair’s experience and recovery.

WARNING: FOOTAGE MAY BE DISTURBING TO SENSITIVE VIEWERS

 

Accommodation offers from

20,000 listings in 2,000 locations with 10,000 reviews.

 

While All4Women endeavours to ensure health articles are based on scientific research, health articles should not be considered as a replacement for professional medical advice. Should you have concerns related to this content, it is advised that you discuss them with your personal healthcare provider.