Canberra (dpa) – More than 1.1 million hectares have burned or are still burning in eastern Australia due to devastating bushfires which started last month, according to fire authorities

In New South Wales, more than 70 fires are burning across the state, 50 of which are uncontained, but none were at emergency level on Wednesday morning, the state Rural Fire Service said.

On Tuesday, a “catastrophic fire danger” alert had been issued for Sydney and nearby regions, with hot, dry weather, temperatures in the high 30s, and strong winds of 80 kilometres per hour.

Hollywood actor Russell Crowe said on Twitter that his property in Nana Glen near Coffs Harbour was “hit” by the bushfires but his family was safe.

 

The Rural Fire Service said 50 homes were destroyed on Tuesday, bringing the number of properties damaged or destroyed since last week to more than 300.

No lives were lost on Tuesday, the fire service said, but 21 people, including 13 firefighters, were injured.

The bushfire season in Australia started early this year, in October, with more than 1.1 million hectares destroyed, more than the combined total for the past three bushfire seasons, the Rural Fire Service said

New South Wales declared a state of emergency for this week due to fire danger. More than 150 primary to high schools are still closed across the most populous state in Australia.

Since last week, when the latest round of bushfires started, at least three people have died and more than 120 people have been injured.

Accommodation offers from

20,000 listings in 2,000 locations with 10,000 reviews.

 

Author: ANA Entertainment