(By Rod McGuirk, AP)
CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — Ivan Milat, whose grisly serial killings of seven German, British and Australian backpackers horrified Australia in the early ’90s, died in a Sydney prison on Sunday, ending hopes of a deathbed confession to more unsolved slayings. He was 74…
The road worker and gun enthusiast had been in custody since 1994 and was diagnosed in May with terminal oesophageal and stomach cancer. Milat died in the medical wing of Long Bay Prison, New South Wales state Corrective Services said.
He was convicted of murder in the deaths of three German, two British, and two Australian backpackers after giving them rides while they were hitchhiking. The serial killings came to light when the mutilated corpses were found in a forest near Sydney over 14 months in 1992 and 1993.
Speculation has continued at Milat had an accomplice and had been responsible for other homicides and suspicious tourist disappearances.
Clive Small, a former detective who led the murder investigation, said on Sunday that he was confident Milat acted alone. But Small also suspects Milat had more victims, including three people whose bodies were found in other forests from as early as 1971.
“I had absolutely no respect for him at all. I thought that if he had one ounce of decency in him, he could have shown it before he died by admitting and clarifying a number of issues that are outstanding,” Small said.
The case set off a frenzy of attention that consumed Australians like few others. Police put a team of investigators on the case, a reward was offered and media intensely covered the hunt for the killer and the possibility of more victims.
At last, he’s dead. An outcome many believe Ivan Milat deserved when he was convicted 23 years ago for the savage murders of seven young backpackers. https://t.co/pqALwJmx2m #7NEWS pic.twitter.com/dCh9IXPFpm
— 7NEWS Brisbane (@7NewsBrisbane) October 27, 2019
The crimes also inspired the “Wolf Creek” horror movies and television series released since 2005.
In September 1992, two runners orienteering in the Belanglo State Forest southwest of Sydney discovered a concealed corpse. Police unearthed a second body nearby, and dental records confirmed the victims were Britons Caroline Clarke, 21, and Joanne Walters, 22, who’d been last seen in Sydney five months earlier.
Two more bodies were found in October 1993 by a man searching for firewood. Police identified them as Australian couple Deborah Everist and James Gibson, both 19, who’d gone missing in late 1989.
Police searches of the forest revealed the body of German Simone Schmidl, 21, and later in November the corpses of German couple Anja Habschied, 20, and Gabor Neugebauer, 21, who’d been missing since 1991.
Police established a 20-person team of detectives and analysts, posting a reward of $500,000 Australian dollars for information that would lead to the perpetrator.
#IvanMilat is dead – thoughts are with the families of Caroline Clarke, 21, Joanne Walters, 22, James Gibson, 19, Deborah Everest, 19, Simone Schmidl, 21, Gabor Neugebauer, 21, and Anja Habschield, 20 pic.twitter.com/RUJoWmBQZ7
— Swan_ette (@Irgendjemand_01) October 26, 2019
More than 300 police spent three months searching the forest
Milat was arrested on May 22, 1994, following two months of surveillance. Police were aided by a British man, Paul Onions, who had accepted a ride from him while hitchhiking out of Sydney in 1990 and managed to escape from the car, running down the road while Milat shot at him.
Small said Onions’ identification enabled police to execute search warrants targeting Milat.
A search of Milat’s Sydney house found several weapons including parts of a rifle that matched one used in the killings, and the cameras of some of his victims. Milat had also given victims’ property he had taken as souvenirs to family members.
When his trial ended in 1996, Milat was found guilty of seven murders and sentenced to serve seven consecutive life sentences.
Small said of Milat’s death: “A lot of people are going to be very satisfied with the current outcome and will be pleased that it’s over.”
Ian Clarke, the Northumberland-based father of British victim Caroline Clarke, said: “No matter how Christian one might be, you can’t help but be glad that this has happened.”
Criminologist and author Amanda Howard corresponded with Milat almost monthly since 1997
She said Milat would never have made a deathbed confession.
“He died in a very painful way, but he was happy that he was able to take these secrets to his grave,” said Howard, who suspects Milat has more than seven victims. She said Milat had recently written to her that “he felt for the parents of the German backpackers.”
“He goes: ‘I can’t imagine what they must be feeling knowing that this and this and this had happened to their children,'” Howard said.
“But he then went into the graphic detail, so he enjoyed being able to relive that and retell that story,” she added.
He was moved to maximum security after an escape attempt in 1997
Milat continued to make headlines over the years through hunger strikes and self-harm, including severing a finger with a plastic knife.
He had undergone specialist palliative care at a Sydney hospital for more than two weeks before he was returned to prison on Tuesday last week.
New South Wales Minister for Counter Terrorism and Corrections Anthony Roberts said Milat had been sentenced to die in prison and authorities had ensured he did not end his days in a public hospital bed.
“He showed no remorse. We ensured the sentence was carried out,” Roberts said. “He can rot in hell.”
Milat was born on Dec. 27, 1944, one of 12 children of a Croatian immigrant father and an Australian-born mother.
In a television interview in 2019, an older brother summed up Milat’s infamy.
“He was going to kill somebody from the age of 10,” Boris Milat said. “It was built into him. He had a different psyche. He’s a psychopath, and it just manifested itself with, ‘I can do anything, I can do anything.'”
Author: ANA Newswire