The yellow ribbon that Meghan Markle placed at the SA Post Office where Uyinene Mrwetyana was raped and murdered has gone missing
The Duchess of Sussex visited the site during the royal tour of South Africa in September.
“Simi kunye kule si si mo (We stand together in this situation) – Harry & Meghan September 26, 2019,” Meghan wrote on the ribbon.
The duchess said that it was “personally important” for her to visit the site where Uyinene died.
Prince Harry and Meghan had read about the 19-year-old Cape Town student’s murder ahead of their royal tour and were touched by the story.
Meghan placed the ribbon at the Clareinch Post Office in Claremont to “show solidarity with those who have taken a stand against gender-based violence and femicide”.
Meghan also spoke to Uyinene’s mother Noma to express her condolences.
Uyinene’s mother told the Weekend Argus that the disappearance of the ribbon was “quite unfortunate” and was a “reflection of the type of society we have become”
A post office worker suspected that the ribbon might have been taken by a royal fan who wanted a souvenir.
A nearby shop owner believes that one of the homeless people in the area could have taken the ribbon, as “they steal ribbons all the time”.
Social media users said that the person who stole the ribbon should be ashamed of themselves.
“Someone stole the ribbon Princess Meghan Markle laid for Uyinene. We need to be better as society guys,” one Twitter user wrote.
British Royals have a cult like following, that Ribbon 🎀 that Megan tied for Uyinene was probably stolen by a fanatic.
— Thabang (@_thabang_m) October 6, 2019
that person who stole uyinene’s ribbon will have amabhadi and cry about it to friends and family 💀
— sorry to this man (@khanyisile) October 6, 2019
Someone stole the ribbon Princess Meghan Markle laid for Uyinene. We need to be better as society guys. 😭😭💔
— Molete Molebatsi (@moletemolebatsi) October 5, 2019
Sussex Royal’s post on Meghan’s visit to the site:
View this post on Instagram
“Simi kunye kulesisimo” – ‘We stand together in this moment’ The Duchess of Sussex has tied a ribbon at the site where 19-year-old Cape Town student Uyinene Mrwetyana was murdered last month, to pay her respects and to show solidarity with those who have taken a stand against gender based violence and femicide. Over the last month in Capetown, protests erupted through the streets in outrage over GBV in South Africa. The Duke and Duchess had been following what had happened from afar and were both eager to learn more when they arrived in South Africa. The Duchess spoke to the mother of Uyinene this week to relay their condolences. Visiting the site of this tragic death and being able to recognise Uyinene, and all women and girls effected by GBV (specifically in South Africa, but also throughout the world) was personally important to The Duchess. Uyinene’s death has mobilised people across South Africa in the fight against gender based violence, and is seen as a critical point in the future of women’s rights in South Africa. The Duchess has taken private visits and meetings over the last two days to deepen her understanding of the current situation and continue to advocate for the rights of women and girls. For more information on the recent events in SA, please continue to follow our tour #AmINext