“Reality Check” is an article series which looks at common mistakes people make when they begin dieting for weight loss. We’ll check out some ‘thought adjustments’ that will help you make better choices on your journey. The articles include tips, new ideas to try, strategies to follow, and encouragement to keep you moving forward.

The Weekend Diet

“All I have to do to lose weight is eat right 80% of the time, and then the other 20% can be whatever I want.”

The Weekend Diet operates on the idea that if you get your diet right 80% of the time (or 8 out of every 10 meals) then you’ll lose weight. While this sounds like a really promising idea, there are a few problems with it.

The biggest problem is that while it may THEORHETICALLY be possible to lose weight if you only eat diet meals 80% of the time, you’d have to be VERY disciplined during this time to actually achieve the results you are looking for. And you’d also have to be a lot more conservative on weekends than you think.

Subscribe to our Free Daily All4Women Newsletter to enter


Because the maths still needs to add up. You can’t eat restricted calories during the week, and then completely binge over the weekend, eating as many calories as you want. You’ll totally destroy all the good work you did from Monday to Friday.

You see, if you’re aiming to eat 2500 calories per day to lose weight (based on your lifestyle, goals, and current plan), and you do that for a week (7 days), you WILL lose weight. But if you do that from Monday to Friday, and then eat ‘whatever you want’ on Saturday and Sunday, you can easily overshoot your weekly total.

The math still has to work.


Let’s say your total calories for the week are 2500×7 = 17500

But you want to eat some ‘fun’ things over the weekend. You’d like to have some cake at your friend’s birthday, and you’d like to eat a pizza on Saturday night. What you need to do is work out how many calories these items are going to ‘cost’ you.

  • An average pizza will be around 2300 calories.
  • An average slice of chocolate cake will be around 350 calories.
  • This means, you need to actually eat 1970 calories during the week to offset your weekend treats.

The important thing to note here is that the Weekend Diet is not a game where you can eat ‘whatever you want’ on the weekend. You still need to count your calories and make sure you’re in the right zone for the week, or you may miss the point of the diet completely.

You still have to do the math.     

Read more ‘reality check’s below:


While All4Women endeavours to ensure health articles are based on scientific research, health articles should not be considered as a replacement for professional medical advice. Should you have concerns related to this content, it is advised that you discuss them with your personal healthcare provider.