There’s no busy like mom-busy
Nurturing and selfless, we moms spend most of our time caring for those around us. We give of our love, time and energy – often at the expense of our own well-being.
What we don’t realise, though, is that by putting our own well-being on the back burner, we set ourselves up for exhaustion and burnout…
And, let’s be real, which mom has time for that?
In order for us to take care of our family, we need to take care of ourselves – and that includes replenishing the vitamins and minerals that are depleted by the demands of raising kids and managing a home.
A healthy diet is a good start – but it’s not enough – especially since we know that, good intentions aside, most moms survive on leftover toddler meals and unhealthy on-the-go snacks.
Enter supplements (and no, we don’t mean the body-building kind). We’re talking about the vitamin kind – the kind that helps us power through those busy days with a supermom spring in our step!
Now, for the average mom (like you and me), knowing which supplements to choose can be tricky, especially since there are so many to choose from.
To help take the guesswork out of which supplements busy moms need most, we’ve outlined the important ones below:
6 Supplements for busy moms:
- Magnesium: This superhero supplement can help fight pesky migraines, improve PMS symptoms (yes, please!) and lower blood pressure (pushed to the limit by kids that just.don’t.listen).
- B vitamins: If you’ve been feeling on the sluggish side, you may be lacking in the B-vitamin department, especially vitamin B12. B vitamins don’t just work wonders on your energy levels, they are also good for your skin and hair.
- Vitamin D: The best way to load up on vitamin D is to expose your skin to sunlight (with sunscreen of course!). But for some busy moms, sitting in the sun for even five minutes per day is a luxury they don’t have – which is why a supplement comes in handy! Vitamin D helps to improve energy levels and is important for keeping those hormones in check and improving calcium absorption for healthy bones and teeth.
- Calcium: This one is a no-brainer, but your body needs calcium to build and maintain strong bones.
- Omega-3s: They say if you’re not eating enough fish, you should consider taking an omega-3 supplement. Omega-3s help to keep moms on their A-game by sharpening brain function and cognitive abilities.
- Iron: If you’ve chosen to follow a vegan or vegetarian lifestyle, you may need to consider an iron supplement. If you’re low on iron, you’ll be low on energy – something a busy mom can’t afford!
Remember, you can’t take supplements to compensate for poor nutrition. A healthy diet filled with all the good stuff (like fruits and veggies) is the basis of keeping your vitamin and mineral reserves at healthy levels!
While All4Women endeavours to ensure health articles are based on scientific research, health articles should not be considered as a replacement for professional medical advice. Should you have concerns related to this content, it is advised that you discuss them with your personal healthcare provider.