Person 1: “Oh, hey! How have you been? Aren’t you on a diet? Why are you eating donuts?”
Person 2: “Yeah, I am on a diet, but it’s been a stressful day, and I can’t help it.”
This is the type of situation many comfort-eaters. They have an excuse to ditch the diet almost every day… and every day they complain that they are not losing weight, and are sick of being so unhealthy.
This is a tough situation. For those who don’t find comfort in food, the solution seems simple, but for comfort eaters, ice-cream, a donut or a huge bowl of creamy pasta can sometimes feel like the only way to make it to the end of the day.
Eating can make you feel “happy” again, even if only for a few minutes. But this is not good for your diet.
I am a comfort-eater myself, so I know how big the struggle is.
But when it’s time to focus on losing weight, then the unfortunate reality sets in. “Excuses have to STOP”.
You can’t have comfort eating AND weight loss at the same time. It doesn’t work, because even if you’re eating dry bread, you’re eating calories you probably don’t need.
So what do you do instead?
You MUST find something to do in place of the comfort eating.
Get a stress-ball, or draw a picture, or read a soothing book, or meditate for five minutes, or tell someone else what’s stressing you out.
If you must eat, eat some fresh fruit. What you CANNOT do is allow yourself to make more excuses, and continue to add to your stressors rather than work on them. That story doesn’t end well.
Read more ‘reality check’s below:
- Weight loss reality check: Secret eaters
- Weight loss reality check: Are you REALLY sticking to your diet, or are you just pretending?
- Weight loss reality check: Not everyone is built like a typical Instagram swimsuit model
- Weight loss reality check: Six packs aren’t made in ‘a few short weeks’
- Weight loss reality check: Not all gym supplements are created equal
- Weight loss reality check: Get help from helpful people
- Weight loss reality check: Figuring out the diet for YOU
- Weight loss reality check: Does it have to be so complicated?
- Weight loss reality check: How much does being thin REALLY matter?
- Weight loss reality check: What can you REALLY expect from a diet?
- Weight loss reality check: A six-pack in twelve weeks?
- Weight loss reality check: Check the lifespan of the programme
- Weight loss reality check: Electronic wobble-machines?
- Weight loss reality check: ‘Before’ and ‘After’ pics are NOT real evidence
- Your weekly weight loss reality check: Exercise is NOT magic
- Your weekly weight loss reality check: You NEED all of the macronutrients
- Your weekly weight loss reality check: “REALLY?!”
- Your weekly weight loss reality check: Quantity matters
While All4Women endeavours to ensure health articles are based on scientific research, health articles should not be considered as a replacement for professional medical advice. Should you have concerns related to this content, it is advised that you discuss them with your personal healthcare provider.