“Reality Check” is an article series which looks at common mistakes people make when they begin dieting for weight loss. We’ll check out some ‘thought adjustments’ that will help you make better choices on your journey. The articles include tips, new ideas to try, strategies to follow, and encouragement to keep you moving forward.
Are you REALLY sticking to your diet, or are you just pretending?
“I’m cheating today.”
Ever noticed how many people claim to be dieting for weight loss? But based on their behaviour the majority of them are NOT actually dieting. And they complain bitterly about not achieving the results that they want so badly.
TALKING about dieting is easy. It may even alleviate some of the anxiety you’re feeling about your current lifestyle and physical shape. Having a goal and doing something positive to improve your situation is inspiring…
But if all you’re doing is talking about dieting, your journey will be long, and it will be fruitless. If you’re doing the diet for a day or two, and then having a cheat day (for whatever reason you can come up with) then you aren’t doing any diet I’ve ever heard of.
The reality is that it’s easy to tell whether or not you’re actually sticking to your diet, or just pretending…
If your longest string of disciplined-eating days is less than fourteen, you’re NOT dieting, you’re just kidding yourself. And (just to be clear) fourteen isn’t ‘good’, it’s just how long it takes to begin. You are aiming to get through at LEAST twelve weeks of consistent diet if you want to start seeing real changes, and for those changes to become part of your lifestyle.
So if you feel like people aren’t taking you seriously when you talk about your new diet, maybe do a little soul-searching, and check whether or not you’re really focussed on changing your life.
If you need help being motivated, consider getting a professional to help you through the tough days, and put together an eating and fitness plan that will help you reach your goals.
Read more ‘reality check’s below:
- Weight loss reality check: Not everyone is built like a typical Instagram swimsuit model
- Weight loss reality check: Six packs aren’t made in ‘a few short weeks’
- Weight loss reality check: Not all gym supplements are created equal
- Weight loss reality check: Get help from helpful people
- Weight loss reality check: Figuring out the diet for YOU
- Weight loss reality check: Does it have to be so complicated?
- Weight loss reality check: How much does being thin REALLY matter?
- Weight loss reality check: What can you REALLY expect from a diet?
- Weight loss reality check: A six-pack in twelve weeks?
- Weight loss reality check: Check the lifespan of the programme
- Weight loss reality check: Electronic wobble-machines?
- Weight loss reality check: ‘Before’ and ‘After’ pics are NOT real evidence
- Your weekly weight loss reality check: Exercise is NOT magic
- Your weekly weight loss reality check: You NEED all of the macronutrients
- Your weekly weight loss reality check: “REALLY?!”
- Your weekly weight loss reality check: Quantity matters