New York (dpa) – Las Vegas prosecutors will not go ahead with a sexual assault allegation against Cristiano Ronaldo, the Clark County District Attorney’s office said in a statement on Monday…

Kathryn Mayorga came forward with her story last year, alleging that Ronaldo assaulted her in a Las Vegas hotel room in 2009. Mayorga claims intermediaries were used to stop her pursuing criminal charges, including paying her 375,000 dollars in hush money.

After reviewing Mayorga’s request for prosecution, which was submitted a decade after the alleged assault in July 2018, the District Attorney’s office concluded that the allegations cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, according to the statement.

The 34-year-old Juventus star always denied the charges

His lawyer has said that what occurred in Las Vegas between the two was consensual.

According to Mayorga, she met the footballer, who was 24 at the time, at a nightclub in Las Vegas. She says he invited her into his hotel suite and raped her there, then apologised and stated that he was “normally a gentleman.”

WIN a R 2,000 Woolworths Voucher

Subscribe to our Free Daily All4Women Newsletter to enter

Ronaldo, also a star for Portugal, switched from Real Madrid to Juventus last year for a record 100 million euros (112 million dollars). The team finished the season with its eighth Italian league championship in a row.

Author: ANA Newswire