“Reality Check” is an article series which looks at common mistakes people make when they begin dieting for weight loss. We’ll check out some ‘thought adjustments’ that will help you make better choices on your journey. The articles include tips, new ideas to try, strategies to follow, and encouragement to keep you moving forward.
Not everyone is built like a swimsuit model
This article is one that you NEED to read if you’re dieting with the sole intent of becoming the next great bikini model. It’s especially important if you’ve dieted, and dieted, and dieted with moderate results, but never achieved the results you thought you were guaranteed by the programme.
So here’s the bad news… You may not have what it takes to look like your favourite tall, skinny, tanned bikini model. But what you may be lacking is not self-discipline, it’s more likely the genetic components required to make you look that way.
Now, I’m not saying that you can’t achieve great results on a diet and exercise programme – you CAN. BUT unfortunately not everyone is naturally built like a swimsuit model. If you don’t have the genes to be tall and lanky, and tanned, no amount of dieting is going to make your limbs grow longer, and your torso stretch out. (You can always go for a spray tan if you want to!)
You can thank your parents for your genes
So while being a healthy weight, being strong, and being fit are very important, they don’t mean that you’re automatically upgraded to a swimsuit-model type body. The results you get on that level are really up to your genetic potential. And to be honest, very few people in the world actually have the ‘swimsuit-model’ genes.
The good news is that a good diet and exercise programme WILL help you look AMAZING and confident in your clothing. You’ll feel more energetic, more capable, and far more powerful – making you naturally more attractive to your peers and potential suitors. And you’ll look pretty darn good in a swimsuit too.
This article is not a call to forget your dreams, but rather a call to adjust your expectations so you get results that you will feel more proud of.
Read more ‘reality check’s below:
- Weight loss reality check: Six packs aren’t made in ‘a few short weeks’
- Weight loss reality check: Not all gym supplements are created equal
- Weight loss reality check: Get help from helpful people
- Weight loss reality check: Figuring out the diet for YOU
- Weight loss reality check: Does it have to be so complicated?
- Weight loss reality check: How much does being thin REALLY matter?
- Weight loss reality check: What can you REALLY expect from a diet?
- Weight loss reality check: A six-pack in twelve weeks?
- Weight loss reality check: Check the lifespan of the programme
- Weight loss reality check: Electronic wobble-machines?
- Weight loss reality check: ‘Before’ and ‘After’ pics are NOT real evidence
- Your weekly weight loss reality check: Exercise is NOT magic
- Your weekly weight loss reality check: You NEED all of the macronutrients
- Your weekly weight loss reality check: “REALLY?!”
- Your weekly weight loss reality check: Quantity matters