A group of protesters loyal to criminally-charged eThekwini mayor Zandile Gumede started regrouping in the Durban central business district after scuffles with police and several arrests just hours earlier

Members of the media were also caught up in the scuffles between police and protesters, with one journalist being arrested and another manhandled.

The protesters had settled in Gugu Dlamini Park, near The Workshop, just before noon on Thursday and then started marching to the African National Congress (ANC) head office in the city.

They starting gathering illegally near city hall from late on Wednesday for a night vigil in support of the embattled mayor, who was supposed to officially return to work on Thursday, until the ANC announced it had extended her leave.

By 7am on Thursday, the protesters – numbering no more than 100 – had blocked the intersection of Dr. Pixley ka Seme Road (formerly West Street) and Dorothy Nyembe Street (formerly Gardiner Street) with concrete bins.

WIN a R 2,000 Woolworths Voucher

Subscribe to our Free Daily All4Women Newsletter to enter

The number of protesters swelled and waned throughout the day.

Police had to close a large part of the central business precinct where the Post Office and US Consulate are based, as protesters parked a van in the middle of the intersection with loudhailers. Several of the supporters lay down in the street while others danced and sang songs to support Gumede.

Some nearby businesses did not open their shutters while others had security guards standing at the storefronts.

Municipal administrative staff were barred from entering city hall and committee meetings were cancelled for the day.

Some of the protesters, visibly drunk, tried to stop African News Agency (ANA) from photographing, before police intervened.

Later in the morning, officers tried to negotiate with the protesters, but those attempts failed.

Supporters of criminally-charged eThekwini mayor Zandile Gumede gathered in the Durban central business district on Thursday demanding she be allowed to return to work after being placed on leave by the ANC.. Photo by African News Agency (ANA)

A senior Metro Police officer told ANA that before they could begin dispersing the crowd, they needed to inform them of the action police were likely to take.

“We need to negotiate with them first and allow them to inform their colleagues. Once this is done we can proceed.”

Asked why the protesters were not moved earlier, the officer said they only became aware of the protest after 6am.

At first the protesters were relatively calm as they were guided eastward on Dr Pixley ka Seme Road, however as they neared city hall’s administrative entrance, the movement halted. A few tense exchanges followed with protesters chanting in isZulu what loosely translates to, “Bheki Cele, call off your dogs”.

A stun grenade was deployed, and after dispersing, the protesters regrouped.

After what looked like further tense talks between protest leaders and the police, two more stun grenades were discharged into the crowd and police moved in to make arrests.

It is during several scuffles that one journalist from Independent Newspapers, Sihle Mavuso, was arrested and Siphamandla Goge from eNCA was manhandled.

Police confirmed that seven protesters were arrested for public violence.

Mavuso was also arrested and will be charged with common assault for allegedly punching a police officer. He was released later in the morning.

Supporters of criminally-charged eThekwini mayor Zandile Gumede gathered in the Durban central business district on Thursday demanding she be allowed to return to work after being placed on leave by the ANC. Photo by African News Agency (ANA)

Shortly after Mavuso’s arrest, KwaZulu-Natal SAPS spokesman, Brigadier Jay Naidoo, issued a statement addressed to journalists: “Please wear your media cards around your necks so that police officers cannot claim they did not know that you are journalists.”

Police then escorted the remaining protesters through to Monty Naicker Road (formerly Pine Street) where they dispersed into the nearby bus stop and The Workshop shopping centre precinct.

Gumede was charged in mid-May along with senior ANC councillor Mondli Mthembu and businessman Craig Poonan for alleged tender fraud, corruption and racketeering relating to a 2016 Durban Solid Waste contract worth R208 million.

Several others were arrested two weeks before the trio’s appearance for their alleged roles in the same case. All of the accused were released on bail and will appear again in August.

It was alleged in court by the lead investigator in the case that Gumede influenced the awarding of tenders, ordered administration staff to break the law and organised a march against city manager, Sipho Nzuza, calling for his axing, because he refused to pay companies for the irregular contracts they had obtained.

Accommodation offers from

20,000 listings in 2,000 locations with 10,000 reviews.

Atlantic Palms

Bloubergstrand, Cape Town

Valid 11 Oct – 31 Oct 2019

Ballito accommodation offers

In KwaZulu-Natal > South Africa


Author: ANA Newswire