“Reality Check” is an article series which looks at common mistakes people make when they begin dieting for weight loss. We’ll check out some ‘thought adjustments’ that will help you make better choices on your journey. The articles include tips, new ideas to try, strategies to follow, and encouragement to keep you moving forward.
Get help from helpful people
“Losing weight is so easy! You really don’t need a DIET PLAN… Just eat less. It’s that simple.”
This is one you’ll often hear from someone who has never struggled with their weight, and who has certainly never thought further than their own condition.
You see, when you’ve never been overweight you’ve never thought about the things OTHER THAN FOOD that could be causing weight gain.
Things like medications, psychological issues, lack of sleep, food quality, stress, metabolic problems, and other factors could be at least partly responsible for your weight situation. So to say ‘just eat less’ can be pretty unhelpful.
Some people are overweight, eat very little, and don’t lose weight. Why? Because the cause of their issue is NOT too much food. Some people may even have dieted themselves to a super slow metabolism by ‘just eating less’.
Get help from helpful people
So if you’re struggling with your weight, and someone says this to you, take it with a pinch of salt.
Although they probably mean well, this is not a constructive conversation to get involved in, because they are clearly not informed. They have no idea about the complexities of your personal diet and weightloss journey.
Get help from someone who can help you, and you’ll soon have a clearer idea of whether eating less is actually going to be beneficial in your situation. There may well be some other work to do before you get to that point, though.
Read more ‘reality check’s below:
- Weight loss reality check: Figuring out the diet for YOU
- Weight loss reality check: Does it have to be so complicated?
- Weight loss reality check: How much does being thin REALLY matter?
- Weight loss reality check: What can you REALLY expect from a diet?
- Weight loss reality check: A six-pack in twelve weeks?
- Weight loss reality check: Check the lifespan of the programme
- Weight loss reality check: Electronic wobble-machines?
- Weight loss reality check: ‘Before’ and ‘After’ pics are NOT real evidence
- Your weekly weight loss reality check: Exercise is NOT magic
- Your weekly weight loss reality check: You NEED all of the macronutrients
- Your weekly weight loss reality check: “REALLY?!”
- Your weekly weight loss reality check: Quantity matters
While All4Women endeavours to ensure health articles are based on scientific research, health articles should not be considered as a replacement for professional medical advice. Should you have concerns related to this content, it is advised that you discuss them with your personal healthcare provider.