Winter time is faux fur time. This week we show you how to keep your faux fur clean so you don’t have to choose between hygiene and fashion.
Faux fur is fun to wear but not so much to clean and nobody wants to be rocking fur that looks anything but 100% clean.
Some materials are harder to clean than others and faux fur is notorious for being difficult to deal with. But we’re not giving it up! We love animals, we love being stylish and we love keeping warm during these cold months – that’s why we wear faux fur! If you have invested in a few faux fur pieces this winter, we have all the tips you will ever need when it comes to keeping your pieces clean.
How to clean faux fur coats
- Read the care label on your faux fur coat first! If it says dry clean only, then follow those instructions. If you’re able to wash it, then follow these steps.
- Make sure to hand wash all your faux fur coats and jackets. It may seem like a pain, but if you don’t, they will end up looking scruffy and scraggly before you know it.
- Choose a gentle washing detergent designed for hand-washing and add a good quality fabric softener to keep your faux fur fluffy and fabulous.
- Keep the temperature of the water cool, so as not to damage the fabric.
- Once you’re done washing, roll the coat in a clean dry towel to squeeze out any excess water, avoid squeezing and wringing.
How to clean faux fur boots
Faux fur boots stay close to the ground, so they’re bound to get dirty! Cleaning them will be much easier if you keep them as clean as possible, so don’t go traipsing through any mud with them on.
- If you have a vacuum cleaner, use it to carefully remove any dirt stuck between the fibers.
- Clean any visible stains with a specialist stain remover or cleaner that’s made for carpet or upholstery.
- Air dry your boots when you’re done cleaning them.
How to clean faux fur accessories and add-ons
This process is similar to cleaning faux fur jackets and coats.
- Soak your pieces for about 20 minutes.
- Drain away the soapy water and rinse the garment through with clean cool water.
- Give them another soak (this time with some fabric softener in the water) for 10 minutes.
- Gently squeeze the items and then let them air dry.
General tips to remember when drying faux fur
Never tumble dry any faux fur garments and keep them out of direct sunlight and heat. High temperatures can melt the faux fur fibers and cause the fibers to fuse and become matted, which is not a good look.
Dry garments inside using an indoor rack and keep repositioning the garment often so there are no crush marks on the faux fur.