“Reality Check” is an article series which looks at common mistakes people make when they begin dieting for weight loss. We’ll check out some ‘thought adjustments’ that will help you make better choices on your journey. The articles include tips, new ideas to try, strategies to follow, and encouragement to keep you moving forward.
Does it have to be so complicated?
“If you can just follow this “simple” 39-step diet plan, and master these 65 exercises, you too can look like a super model on the beach this summer!”
There’s a saying I’ve been thinking about a lot lately, and it goes something like this: “Most of the secrets of life are easy on paper. The issue, as always, is the ‘doing’.”
Are you more likely to succeed doing something simple or complicated? Do you feel equipped to do something complicated, in addition to everything else going on in your life? Do you have a few hours every day just hanging around, waiting to be filled with planning and strategy work?
Dieting is a great example of a simple life-secret
Dieting to lose weight is easy in theory: get rid of as much toxicity as possible, then eat less food than the energy you expend every day. Use exercise to get stronger and burn more calories. That’s it! No complication necessary.
So why are modern diets sometimes so complex?
Well, essentially, it boils down to sales. Diet gurus have to keep coming up with ‘something new’ to sell more books. Authors add their own twist to the simple formula to try to stand out from the crowd of other diet gurus out there!
That helps them, not you.
Do your research. Find a simple diet (that is also healthy), and take responsibility for actually doing it, and it WILL work.
Read more ‘reality check’s below:
- Weight loss reality check: How much does being thin REALLY matter?
- Weight loss reality check: What can you REALLY expect from a diet?
- Weight loss reality check: A six-pack in twelve weeks?
- Weight loss reality check: Check the lifespan of the programme
- Weight loss reality check: Electronic wobble-machines?
- Weight loss reality check: ‘Before’ and ‘After’ pics are NOT real evidence
- Your weekly weight loss reality check: Exercise is NOT magic
- Your weekly weight loss reality check: You NEED all of the macronutrients
- Your weekly weight loss reality check: “REALLY?!”
- Your weekly weight loss reality check: Quantity matters
While All4Women endeavours to ensure health articles are based on scientific research, health articles should not be considered as a replacement for professional medical advice. Should you have concerns related to this content, it is advised that you discuss them with your personal healthcare provider.