The 18th SPAR Kirkwood Wildsfees sets to kick off from Friday, June 28 until Sunday, June 30 will offer a kuier like no other for festinos.
With over 40 of the country’s top stars and local favourites festival-goers can look forward to a weekend of music, feasts, and stunning crafts. And that’s not all. It wouldn’t be the Wildsfees without some wine tasting, gin pairing, the Boerboel dog show, and the annual ‘koedoedrolverspoeg’ competition. Yes – real ‘koedoedrol’ is used in the competition!
Here are 5 things you can look forward to at this year’s fabulous SPAR Kirkwood Wildsfees:
1. Live performances by some of SA’s biggest stars
Over 40 of the country’s top stars and local favourites are heading for the festival this year including Karlien van Jaarsveld, Nicholis Louw, Bok van Blerk and, for the first time ever, Jo Black and the talented Lira on Friday night.
View this post on Instagram
Goeie nuus! Vrydagaand se kunstenaarslys het sopas groter en beter geword met LIRA, die wydbekroonde sangeres én The Voice-beoordelaar, wat haar optrede by die 18e SPAR Kirkwood Wildsfees bevestig het. #wildsfees2019 #saartists #samusic #festival #lira #misslira #kirkwood #easterncape #adventureprovinceeasterncape
Juanita du Plessis, the singer with the bigger than life personality and hairdo Ghapi, Jan Bloukaas and all-time favourite Robbie Wessels will be entertaining the crowds on Saturday, and Sunday will see a performance by SA’s top country musicians. Elizma Theron, Ray Dylan and Die Campbells will close off the weekend of ‘wild’ entertainment.
In addition to hours of non-stop live music from the biggest stage in the Eastern Cape, festival goers can look forward to seeing their favourite events:
2. Over 350 specially selected stalls
Apart from the music and expos, festinos can enjoy wine tasting, gin pairing, a selection of South African Brewed beers, browsing over 350 specially selected stalls, Monster Energy’s “Flight Night”, bed bouncing fun, extreme fun and ATKV Koek op die Stoep.
3. The Boerboel show & K9 Unit expo
Dog lovers will be able to meet and greet prize Boerboels from as young as eight weeks to full grown specimens.
4. Skaapkop banquet
Adventurous or traditional foodies can relax and enjoy laid-back music as they indulge in either a skaapkop (R150 per person) or skaapstertjies (R80 per person) on Sunday at the kykNET Leefstyl Plein.
5. Animal adventures
Addo Elephant National Park will be keeping the young and young at heart entertained with games, and storytelling by a seasoned guide. They will also be able to experience an imaginary game drive.
Other stalls that festival goers will discover in this include Glendore Sand, which will have animal sculptures made from wire and stones, Adrenalin Addo with special deals, and Splitting Image Taxidermy.
If that’s not enough to get you excited about this year’s event, here are some more reasons you should head to the 2019 SPAR Kirkwood Wildsfees:
It is a festival of festivals:
- The biggest live music festival in the Eastern Cape
- The biggest new car show in the Eastern Cape
- One of the only agricultural shows in the Eastern Cape
- A festival of adventures – Walk on the Wildside, take your taste buds on safari, discover new wines, enjoy the fun fair, and more
Only at the Wildsfees can you:
- Stock your farm at the Eastern Cape’s premier game auction
- Wiggle your toes in the sands of the only beach bar in the Karoo
- See K9 Unit dogs and their handlers jumping out of helicopters
There’s plenty to do for young and old
- Kids can meet, greet and take a selfie with Spiderman, Peppa Pig and George, Chipmunks (Alvin, Simon, Theodore), Barney, Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Minions, Paw Patrol on the festival grounds Saturday and Sunday
- Follow the wool journey from sheep to jersey
- Baby Shark dance competition
- Lots more fun activities and prizes in the Coca-Cola Fun Zone
- Story-telling in the Walk on the Wildside Marquee
- Play board games
Then there’s the:
- Fluitende Fanies
- Vintage tractor show
- The latest in communication technology from Vodacom
- The Wildsfees will be hosting its first masquerade ball – with the dancers being high-stepping Friesian Horses
- One of the country’s top Boerboel shows
- The country’s longest-running koedoedrolverspoegkompetisie
Your taste bud safari:
- Boeretroos-en-beskuit by die ATKV-tak Kirkwood en Die BURGER se Koek op die Stoep-FEESKAFEE
- Traditional Sunday lunch at the Skaapkop Langtafel
- Fine wines
- Artisanal cheeses
- Craft gin
- Gourmet delights
- The biggest after-party jol in the Lagerville Beer Tent