Brrr… it’s getting cold. Why not try this delectable, warming chowder soup dish? You’ll soon be feeling warm again!
What you need:
- 4 slices of chopped bacon
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 leek, sliced thin
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups of shredded, pre-cooked chicken
- 1 cup corn
- 4 cups chicken (or preference) stock
- 300g-500g potatoes, diced
- 6 sprigs thyme and sliced chives (chives for garnish)
- Salt and pepper to taste
What to do:
Don’t worry about the long ingredient list – this is simple to make:
- Crisp the bacon, and remove from the pan.
- Add the butter and leek to the pan and fry gently until soft.
- Add the garlic and fennel seeds, and allow aromas to release (+/- 1 minute).
- Now add the flour as a rue, mixing with the ingredients well and allowing to brown for a minute.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and then the stock. Now add your potatoes, thyme and seasoning.
- Once the mix is at a boil, reduce to a simmer until the potatoes are tender.
- This should take about 15 minutes. Add the chicken and corn for a final 5 minutes.
- When the soup is warm, fish out the thyme sprigs. Serve this hearty soup topped with the chopped bacon and chives.
This indulgent chowder ‘soup’ has the right mix of hearty and tasty – perfect for cold winter nights!