“Reality Check” is an article series which looks at common mistakes people make when they begin dieting for weight loss. We’ll check out some ‘thought adjustments’ that will help you make better choices on your journey. The articles include tips, new ideas to try, strategies to follow, and encouragement to keep you moving forward.
What can you really expect from any diet?
“Do this programme! It’s the ONY one that will help you get lean and mean, and bikini-ready FAST!”
So, here’s the thing… pretty much EVERY diet out there is writing cheques it can’t cash. You know that’s true. Just read any diet advert, and then talk to normal people (not the ones who are paid by the programme) about their level of progress.
What you’re going to find is that even the people who gave their all to the diet felt short-changed after twelve weeks when they didn’t have a six pack, huge muscles, and an amazing tan. And they SHOULD feel that way, because the diet advert promised all those things.
The real deal
So what can you realistically expect from ANY diet out there, even the ones making these gigantic claims? Well, first, don’t expect what they tell you to expect.
What you can expect from any diet is that your weight WILL drop, your skin WILL tighten (at least somewhat), you WILL have more energy, and you should feel healthier and sleep better too.
You can expect these kinds of results from ANY (healthy and well-planned) diet out there. Why ANY? Well, because diets really are all the same. They all find some way to control calorie intake. So the results will all largely be the same too.
All you need do is find one that you can stick to, and then the most important bit… DO IT for a long time. If you can, good results are guaranteed.
Read more ‘reality check’s below:
- Weight loss reality check: A six-pack in twelve weeks?
- Weight loss reality check: Check the lifespan of the programme
- Weight loss reality check: Electronic wobble-machines?
- Weight loss reality check: ‘Before’ and ‘After’ pics are NOT real evidence
- Your weekly weight loss reality check: Exercise is NOT magic
- Your weekly weight loss reality check: You NEED all of the macronutrients
- Your weekly weight loss reality check: “REALLY?!”
- Your weekly weight loss reality check: Quantity matters