If you’re trying to cut down on the red meat in your family’s diet, look no further than this simple, one-pot take on a classic Moroccan tagine…
What you’ll need:
- 1 tbsp oil
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ chopped bell pepper (red for preference)
- 3 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tin chopped tomato with onion
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp sugar or honey (to taste)
- 1 can (drained) of chickpeas
- ? pitted, halved olives (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Your spice blend: We recommend 2 tsp smoked paprika, 2 tsp chilli powder, 1 tsp cumin, and a pinch of cayenne pepper
What to do:
Heat a skillet over medium heat. Fry the onion, bell pepper, and garlic together until soft and fragrant. Add your tomatoes, sugar, puree, and spices. Stir together well, and bring to a simmer. After 2-3 minutes, add the olives and chickpeas. Allow to simmer on a low heat for 15-20 minutes to marry the flavours. Now’s a great time to taste and adjust the seasonings.
Your dish is done! Serve with a crusty bread loaf, over pasta or with rice.