From your favourite necklace right through to granny’s heritage spoon collection, silver can be a beautiful metal to own. It’s prone to tarnishing, however, and not everyone wants to buy expensive chemical-laden cleaning kits.
Here’s a quick, simple and effective DIY way to clean silver that everyone should know!
- Simply line a bowl or baking sheet with a layer of aluminium foil.
- Lay your tarnished silver (or silver-plated) items out on the sheet.
- Add a few tablespoons of bicarb or fine rock salt to cold water, stir well, and pour in just enough to cover the objects.
- Let them sit for five minutes.
- Remove from the mix, rinse well and polish with a soft, dry cloth to remove the oxidised layer.
Your silverware (or jewellery) will be shiny and fresh again, no effort needed.