Twenty-five pupils at Venus Primary School in Kimberley were taken to hospital after smoke pellets were apparently released into their classroom

Paramedics found the children, aged 8 and 9, in an open field after they were evacuated from the classroom, according to an ER24 statement.

“It is believed that five ‘paintballs’ were cracked open in the classroom, which resulted in fumes being released.”

They were taken to Kimberley Provincial Hospital and were believed to be stable.

The school referred News24 to the provincial education department, which was not immediately available to comment.

WIN a R 2,000 Woolworths Voucher

Subscribe to our Free Daily All4Women Newsletter to enter

Author: News24.com