Three people were transported to hospital after suffering effects of chemical inhalation following a diesel spillage at the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) Johannesburg, Radio Park building on Wednesday morning, emergency services said

SABC Spokesperson, Vuyo Mthembu said that the spillage was caused by a diesel tank overflowing due to aging and failing equipment. She said that there was a power outage which resulted in the organisation’s internal systems switching from City Power to the back-up generator.

“The health and safety of SABC employees is of paramount importance and, as a precautionary measure, all our employees from the Radio Park building have been safely evacuated,” Mthembu said.

However, emergency services, Netcare 911 said that three patients suffered the effects of chemical inhalation and were treated on the scene before being transported by ambulance to hospital for further assessment.

Netcare 911 spokesperson, Shawn Herbst said that their paramedics responded to reports of a chemical leak at the broadcast facility. Reports from the scene indicated that a generator on the 15th floor leaked a large volume of diesel fuel.

WIN a R 2,000 Woolworths Voucher

Subscribe to our Free Daily All4Women Newsletter to enter

Emergency services had evacuated the building, however it was alleged that a small number of occupants were stuck on the 17th floor and were unable to leave due to the intoxicating fumes, said Herbst.

The Fire and Rescue Services were on the scene dealing with the incident.

Accommodation offers from

20,000 listings in 2,000 locations with 10,000 reviews.

18% DISCOUNT – From R1222 p/night

Hudsons on Twelfth

Rivonia, Gauteng

Valid until April 30 2020

66% DISCOUNT – From R1440 R518 p/night

Silver Forest Boutique Lodge and Spa

Helderberg, Somerset West

For stays between 1 Jul & 30 Sep 2020

35% DISCOUNT – From R1524 p/night

The Atrium 30

Durban, KwaZulu-Natal

Valid until April 30 2020

 

Author: ANA Newswire