Three people were transported to hospital after suffering effects of chemical inhalation following a diesel spillage at the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) Johannesburg, Radio Park building on Wednesday morning, emergency services said

SABC Spokesperson, Vuyo Mthembu said that the spillage was caused by a diesel tank overflowing due to aging and failing equipment. She said that there was a power outage which resulted in the organisation’s internal systems switching from City Power to the back-up generator.

“The health and safety of SABC employees is of paramount importance and, as a precautionary measure, all our employees from the Radio Park building have been safely evacuated,” Mthembu said.

However, emergency services, Netcare 911 said that three patients suffered the effects of chemical inhalation and were treated on the scene before being transported by ambulance to hospital for further assessment.

Netcare 911 spokesperson, Shawn Herbst said that their paramedics responded to reports of a chemical leak at the broadcast facility. Reports from the scene indicated that a generator on the 15th floor leaked a large volume of diesel fuel.

WIN a R 2,000 Woolworths Voucher

Subscribe to our Free Daily All4Women Newsletter to enter

Emergency services had evacuated the building, however it was alleged that a small number of occupants were stuck on the 17th floor and were unable to leave due to the intoxicating fumes, said Herbst.

The Fire and Rescue Services were on the scene dealing with the incident.

Author: ANA Newswire