Fill in the form below to stand a chance to WIN a trip to New York City for you and a partner, valued at R85 000!
“What if I told you I could get you to fall in love with me…?” Can a poet and a pragmatist fall in love? What if they only have 24 hours to find out?
Something like love at first sight has struck Daniel Bae, but he soon learns he has just one day to not only get Natasha Kingsley to fall for him, but also to convince her that romantic love does exist. One day. Because tomorrow she could be gone.
In The Sun Is Also a Star, opposites attract against the backdrop of one of the busiest and most vibrant cities in the world: New York. And in a city of more than eight million people, what are the odds that anyone will find the one… or that their paths will even cross?
College-bound romantic Daniel Bae and Jamaica-born pragmatist Natasha Kingsley meet – and fall for each other – over one magical day amidst the fervour and flurry of New York City. Sparks immediately fly between these two strangers, who might never have met had fate not given them a little push. But will fate be enough to take these teens from star-crossed to lucky in love? With just hours left on the clock in what looks to be her last day in the U.S., Natasha is fighting her family’s deportation as fiercely as she’s fighting her budding feelings for Daniel, who is working just as hard to convince her they are destined to be together.
A modern-day story about finding love against all odds, The Sun Is Also a Star explores whether our lives are determined by fate or by the random events of the universe.
The film stars Yara Shahidi (Grown-ish) as Natasha and Charles Melton (Riverdale) as Daniel, along with John Leguizamo (John Wick: Chapter 2).
Directed by Ry Russo-Young (Before I Fall), the film is based on the acclaimed bestseller by Everything, Everything author Nicola Yoon. The Sun Is Also a Star was number one on the New York Times Best Sellers list and has received multiple accolades, including: 2016 National Book Award Finalist; Amazon’s Best Book of 2016 in YA; Amazon’s Top 20 Children’s Books of 2016 in YA; the New York Times Notable Children’s Books of 2016; and Entertainment Weekly’s 10 Best Books of 2016.
“When I approach any project, I look for what makes it different, or special – why we need to tell the story now,” says director Ry Russo-Young. “With this story, I felt that urgency, that ticking clock. I also grew up in New York City, roamed those streets, and fell in love there, so it was personal to me. And to tell an immigrant love story that plays out in one of the most diverse cities in the world was perhaps the most exciting to me, creatively.”
The Sun Is Also a Star opens in cinemas on 7 June!
Law of attraction vs U.S. deportation
The film pits the law of attraction against a U.S. deportation law that will, in just 24 hours, put Natasha and her entire family on a plane to Jamaica, away from everything she knows and loves, everything she considers home.
States producer Leslie Morgenstein, “The Sun Is Also a Star has the timeless theme of first love, but is also very topical, weaving in the subject of immigration and deportation with what it’s like to be young in America. Ry brought her incredible passion to this story and was also excited to bring New York alive in a way that would be new for audiences.”
Producer Elysa Koplovitz Dutton adds, “Ry’s vision for turning this timely modern story into a film with classic appeal was something that immediately appealed to us. Immigration is one of the most relevant topics of our time and Nicola’s ability to create the story of a budding relationship within the context of this powerful and emotional issue is urgent and very real.”
Nicola Yoon, upon whose novel the film is based, was inspired by the serendipity of her own relationship in creating the characters – though she and her husband did not meet at such a problematic time as Natasha and Daniel.
“We did not meet while I was being deported, or anything like that,” Yoon confirms. “But I’m Jamaican-American and my husband is Korean-American, like Natasha and Daniel, and we did have a lot of the conversations that I included in the book. We talked about philosophical things and I was always the one asking, ‘What does it really mean?’ which, I’m sure, was kind of annoying. And we did go to karaoke a lot,” she smiles. “My husband is a great singer, and so is Daniel.
How to WIN a trip to New York City:
Click the pink ENTER button at the end of this article, and fill in all your relevant details.
PLEASE NOTE THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS BELOW!
Win a Trip to New York City with The Sun Is Also A Star
You’re the ‘Brightest Star’ in New York!
- Shine brightly on this three-night adventure in New York!
- Climb the Empire State Building, either for the most amazing view of sunrise in New York, or for a spectacular view of the stars and city skyline by night.
- Cruise at sunset on the Hudson and East Rivers past famous landmarks such as the Statue of Liberty. Nightfall introduces a star-filled sky, a beautiful canopy for the dazzling shoreline.
- Enjoy a taste of the Caribbean or a Korean BBQ! Exotic Jamaican food or succulent BBQ is the perfect dinner for two.
- Three-night hotel stay in New York, with breakfast
- Return airport-hotel transfers
- Empire State Building sunrise or sunset entry
- Starline/sunset cruise
- Dinner for two
- Travel insurance
- Management fee
- Return economy flights
*Based on two people sharing one room
Terms & Conditions
- Dates of travel are from 12th September until 16th December 2019 and from 9th January until 29th June 2020, excluding local and American national holidays. This travel period cannot be amended or extended.
- Prize is subject to availability, has no cash alternative, and is non-transferable and non-refundable.
- At least one person travelling must be aged 18 or over. If the winner is under 18 then his/her guest must be his/her parent or guardian.
- Hotel is based on two people sharing one room. The hotel will take a credit card pre-authorisation or cash deposit to cover any incidentals.
- Winner and his/her guest are solely responsible for all other meals and expenses not specifically set forth herein.
- Empire State Building Sunrise entry is available on select dates from April – November.
- On the sunset cruise, the minimum age to drink alcohol is 21 years. Participants who suffer from severe motion sickness cannot board.
- Winner and his/her guest must have and are responsible for valid passports / e-passports and visas / permissions as applicable.
- Winner and his/her guest must possess a valid ESTA issued via the US Visa Waiver programme: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov. Only winners/guests with valid visas do not require this.
- Except for the one guest permitted to you as part of the prize, you are not allowed to bring any additional family members or guests on the Prize trip. Your guest may not be selected through any further contest, promotion or commercial event. You and your guest must travel on the same itinerary from a Sponsor-selected airport near your home. Once selected, your guest may not be changed without the without the express consent of Warner Bros., which Warner Bros. may grant or withhold in its sole discretion.
- Any potential winner and his/her proposed guest will be required to sign a prize acceptance and release form in order to be eligible to win and/or participate in the prize.
- Visa application and visa travel fees are the responsibility of the winner.
- Costs not mentioned in the package are the responsibility of the winner, and will not be covered by Empire Entertainment.
- Winner must have a valid South African passport in order to be eligible to claim the prize.
Competition closing date: 2019-06-21
Winners are drawn at random using software and contacted via email. Winners have three months to claim their prize and Sponsors have up to six weeks to deliver prizes - eight over the festive season. Prizes are non-transferable and may not be redeemed for cash.