What South African meal would be complete without delicious home-cooked pap?
Yet who likes the fussing it takes to make it, not to mention the hard scrub afterwards? With these simple tips, you’ll have fuss-free, easy-clean pap that’s a success time after time: the whole family will love it.
The key to a clean pan (and succulent pap) lies in allowing the mix to steam as it cooks
- All you need do is pre-boil your pot of water.
- When it’s at a roiling boil, add a generous amount of salt and turn the stove down low.
- Slowly stir in your pap, making sure everything mixes smoothly and without lumps.
- Pop the lid on the pot, and let it steam gently for 30 minutes, stirring with a strong spoon every 10 minutes or so so it doesn’t stick.
- All that’s left is to dish it up – and accept the praise that will come your way!
Leave your pan to soak in cold water overnight, and any remaining pap will simply lift away, leaving you a pot that’s almost clean enough to put away. It couldn’t be simpler to enjoy this South African staple – and the secret lies in a little steam power.