Maybe you’ve simply never found ‘the’ veggie dish for you, or just perhaps you’re a fan of the classic baked potato but want an alternative that’s a little healthier (and a lot more tasty).
Whatever your reasons, this delicious stuffed sweet potato recipe is sure to be a hit!
What you’ll need:
- 4 medium (or large) sweet potatoes
- 1 can black, sugar or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup of sour cream, Greek-style yogurt or your favourite creamy sauce
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 ½ tbsp cooking oil
- ¼ tsp each of the following:
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Chilli powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
What to do:
- Preheat your oven 200 degrees and lay out your sweet potatoes on a greased baking tray. They’re going to need just about an hour – you should be able to easily poke them with a fork when they are ready.
- 10 minutes before they’re done, saute your onion until glassy, then add the spice blend and give it another few minutes.
- Add the beans and toss well. They mix should peak just as the potatoes are ready to serve. Be sure to cool them a little so you don’t burn yourself.
- Whisk your pepper and lemon juice into the sour cream/yogurt or sauce to stay occupied.
- Once you can handle the potatoes, cut them open and scoop out the inside. Mash it slightly (add a little butter and salt if you like) and return to the shell.
Tip: Avocado and coriander make a great finishing touch for this superlative dish, adding a spicy Mexican touch