It is more than four years since soccer star Senzo Meyiwa was murdered, but the cold case could soon be cracked
Police Minister Bheki Cele has given his department a deadline by which the case should be solved – Christmas 2019.
Speaking to eNCA’s Crimewatch, the minister revealed that the case could be solved as soon as Easter, which is in April this year.
“I’m putting my head on the block on this. [The] Senzo Meyiwa matter is going to be resolved in the not very distant future… Definitely it will be before Christmas… Even before Easter that matter will have to be resolved. And South Africans will be put in a better understanding,” he told Crimewatch on Wednesday.
Senzo’s case made headlines in 2018 when a parody Twitter account claimed Chico Twala’s son Longwe used his gun to shoot the Bafana Bafana captain
Both Chicco and Longwe denied the accusations.
Fingers were also pointed at Kelly Khumalo and her sister Zandi, who was dating Longwe at the time of Senzo’s death.
The sisters deny any wrongdoing, insisting that he was killed in a botched robbery.
Senzo was shot dead at Kelly’s family home in October 2014.
Chicco told Power FM last year that he did not believe a robbery took place.
“Someone has pulled a trigger. Someone killed Senzo on that night. These six people knew who did it. Why are they quiet? I am not buying the story about the robbery, personally. Someone knows who killed Senzo, including my son, they must be arrested if needs be.”
The music producer added that he did not believe his son was the shooter.
Watch the interview with Bheki Cele below. He talks about Senzo’s case 10 minutes into the interview.