Is lettuce just a background item for you? Then it’s time for it to shine! These lettuce wraps with a Middle Eastern flair pack a Paleo-friendly punch, and are tasty too!
What you’ll need:
- Oil as needed
- Water as needed
- Cooked rice to supplement meal
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 0.5 kg poultry of your choice, minced
- 2 thinly sliced onions
- (Optional) 1 or 2 red or green chillies, to your taste, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp lime or lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce (or traditional sambal oelek)
- ¼ cup fresh chopped mint
- ¼ cup fresh chopped coriander
- 1 lettuce head, separated into leaves
- 2 lemons or limes, quartered, for garnish.
What to do:
Heat your oil at a medium heat, add the garlic, and stir. Toss in the poultry mince and spread it out to cook evenly in a layer. Try not to stir much, and leave to brown up a little. Then turn it and break it up, and continue to mix and stir until cooked through.
Now add the onion and chillies for about 30 seconds to release flavour. If the mix is dry, add a touch of water a spoon at a time until you are happy. Remove from the heat.
Now mix the juice, fish sauce and sugar together well. Stir this mix into the meat, then throw in the chopped herbs. The base dish is now done.
You can now assemble the mix in lettuce wraps with a little rice and a lemon wedge on each plate, or lay it out in a cast iron skillet or pottery dish with the bowl of cooked rice, a bowl of chilli sauce, and the lemon wedges for guests to DIY their own meal.
No matter which way you choose, everyone is sure to enjoy!