What will we be doing to get into great shape in the New Year? According to an annual survey, these are the top fitness trends for 2019…
Conducted each year since 2007, an annual survey published in ACSM’s Health & Fitness Journal® included responses from more than 2 000 health fitness professionals from around the world.
Highlights of the 2019 annual survey of health and fitness trends include:
- Wearable technology returned to the top-ranked position it had occupied for two consecutive years.
- Group training, defined as classes of more than five participants, was rated number two for the second year in a row.
- Coming in at number three is high-intensity interval training (HIIT). HITT workouts include short bouts of high-intensity exercise followed by a short rest period.
- Fitness programmes for older adults came in at number four.
- Body weight training, which uses the person’s own body weight to provide resistance, is number five on the list.
The survey also uncovered declining fitness trends.
Trends dropping out of the top 20 since the previous survey include circuit weight training, sport-specific training, and core training.
Source: Wolters Kluwer Health via www.sciencedaily.com
While All4Women endeavours to ensure health articles are based on scientific research, health articles should not be considered as a replacement for professional medical advice. Should you have concerns related to this content, it is advised that you discuss them with your personal healthcare provider.