This easy recipe will walk you through the steps necessary to create a good batch of delicious, healthy garlic hummus.
Hummus is high in iron and vitamin C and also contains significant amounts of folic acid and vitamin B6. Chickpeas are a good source of protein and dietary fibre, and tahini (sesame seeds) is an excellent source of the amino acid, methionine.
A favourite vegetarian and vegan food, hummus, like other combinations of grains and pulses, serves as a complete protein when eaten with flatbread, pita bread, crackers or other grains.
You will need either a food processor or a hand-held blender for the following delicious, healthy, garlic hummus recipe. Just follow these six easy steps.
two cans of chickpeas or 250g (dry weight) of home-cooked chickpeas
juice of one lemon
four or five cloves of garlic
two tbsp tahini
two tbsp cold-pressed olive oil
1. Drain the chickpeas â?? keeping the water â?? and set aside. The same applies for home cooked chickpeas.
2. Peel the garlic and chop it up a little bit before placing it in the food processor.
3. Add lemon juice and blend.
4. Add about half of the chickpeas, two tbsp tahini and one tbsp. oil.
6. Add the remaining chickpeas and blend again, with more oil, or water left over from the can of chickpeas, if needed. The mixture should be creamy, but not quite as thick as peanut butter.
For variations on the basic hummus recipe, chopped parsley or fresh herbs or spices can be added. Be aware, also, that tahini can be an acquired taste, so be careful not to overdo it the first time you make your delicious garlic hummus.
Article provided by wikiHow, a wiki building the world’s largest, highest quality how-to manual. Please edit this article and find author credits at the original wikiHow article on How to make delicious healthy garlic hummus. Content on wikiHow can be shared under a Creative Commons License.