Butter cookies â?? also known as Dutch biscuits â?? are crisp, crumbly cookies made with only a few ingredients. At their most basic, the biscuits have no extra flavouring, although they can be flavoured with vanilla and/or chocolate. Butter cookies are often served around Christmas time in the Americas, in Europe and elsewhere, however, these biscuits can be enjoyed all year round.
Hereâ??s a simple, delicious recipe to make butter cookies:
Ingredients: to make about 50 butter cookies
500 gm self-raising flour
Three large or four smaller eggs
250 gm real unprocessed unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
200-250 gm caster sugar
A pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a baking tray and sprinkle a little flour on it until it’s completely covered.
2. Mix the butter and salt together in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Stir with a wooden spoon until it’s soft.
3. Add the sugar to the mixture. Continue stirring until the mixture is smooth.
4. Add the eggs to the mixture one at a time. Make sure each egg is well blended before adding the next. Optional: add half a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
5. Mix in the self-rising flour. Use a spoon or a fork to mix, but only until a dough forms. Do not over-mix.
6. Sprinkle a bit of flour on a table or clean counter. Take the dough out of the bowl and knead it for about 15 minutes, or until the dough is firm and smooth. If the dough is still a bit sticky, you can add a little more flour.
7. Roll out the dough to a 5mm-thickness.
8. Press cookie cutters into the dough to shape cookies. Try to cut as many cookies as you can, using differently shaped cutters for a pretty variety.
9. Place the cookies in rows on the baking tray. Leave sufficient room between cookies, as they will expand in the oven; if they’re placed too close together, they’ll stick to one another. Mix the remaining dough together again and cut some more cookies with the rest.
10. Sprinkle a little sugar over the cookies before placing them in the oven.
11. Put the baking tray in the preheated oven. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes. Oven times vary, and the times given in this recipe are just guidelines. Keep an eye on the colour of your butter cookies as they bake. When done, they will be a nice golden colour. Do not allow them to go brown.
12. Remove from the oven once baked. Allow the cookies to cool on a wire rack until they reach room temperature. Butter cookies break very easily when still hot, so be gentle when transferring them to cooling racks.
Things youâ??ll need to make butter cookies
One medium mixing bowl
Wooden spoon or fork
Cookie cutters or a drinking glass
Article provided by wikiHow, a wiki building the world’s largest, highest quality how-to manual. Please edit this article and find author credits at the original wikiHow article on How to make butter cookies. Content on wikiHow can be shared under a Creative Commons License.