Deep-fried Camembert is a restaurant favourite, but comes with a high price tag. Why not make it at home for a fraction of the cost? Here’s how…
Ingredients for deep-fried Camembert
1 Camembert cheese (usually circular in shape)
250ml (approximately) cold pressed olive oil or similar oil
2 large eggs
Method for deep-fried Camembert
1. Put the breadcrumbs into a bowl. For added flavour, crush some mixed herbs into your breadcrumbs.
2. Break the eggs into a bowl. Mix well.
3. Cut the Camembert into wedges.
4. Dip the Camembert wedges into the egg mixture. Turn the wedges over in order to coat well.
5. Dip the egg-covered Camembert wedges into the breadcrumb mixture. Make sure your breadcrumb mixture covers all sides of the Camembert wedges.
6. Repeat until all of the Camembert wedges have been coated.
7. Pour the oil into a small saucepan. The oil should be deep enough to cover a few Camembert wedges.
8. Heat the oil until it becomes very hot. Donâ??t allow the oil to smoke.
9. Place a few of the Camembert wedges onto a flat metal ladle (with drainage holes). Lower the ladle holding the wedges into the oil. Allow to fry for about 20-30 seconds.
10. Remove the wedges and place them on a kitchen towel.
11. Serve hot. If preferred, serve your deep-fried Camembert with your favourite dip or dressing.
Whenever working with hot oil, take extreme care:
Keep children and pets well away.
Never leave hot oil unattended.
Never fill your saucepan more than half full with oil.
Never try to extinguish an oil fire with water. Rather deprive the flame of oxygen. Should your oil catch fire, quickly replace the lid of the saucepan and remove from the heat. Do not touch the saucepan again until it has cooled down completely.
Article provided by wikiHow, a wiki building the world’s largest, highest quality how-to manual. Please edit this article and find author credits at the original wikiHow article on How to make deep-fried Camembert. Content on wikiHow can be shared under a Creative Commons License.