How to balance your diet’ is an article series all about achieving balance in your diet, and what that looks (and tastes) like. It’s a common phrase, but what does it mean, and how do you do it? Find out here.
How to balance your diet: Balance your timeframes
There is a mistake regularly made in the diet-world. And it’s one that often goes unnoticed. The mistake is making a small mistake into a giant issue. The ideal diet is one where the compliance level of the dieter is 100% perfect for the course of the diet. Unfortunately this is NEVER the case. Everyone on diet makes mistakes because life’s like that. The way you move through the mistake is the critical aspect.
The important idea to help you get through a small mistake without feeling like you’ve failed is the idea of the diet timeline.
How much does ONE bad meal really affect your weight loss?
The answer: it doesn’t. If you eat one bad meal but then get back on track immediately you’ve done zero damage to your progress. The mistake comes from the fact that most dieters make one bad meal into four or five guilt-eating episodes, and that’s where diets come unstuck.
The balanced perspective simply acknowledges the bad meal as a small mistake that has zero consequence, and moves forward with the diet in that light. This is how you NEED to behave if you wish to make great progress, because your diet WILL NOT always go according to plan.
So, the timeframes you need to be concerned with are days, weeks, and months. You do not need to obsess about ONE bad meal, because in the scheme of you week on diet that meal is only less than 5% of things. Let’s get concerned with keeping the 90% good, and the other 10% won’t be a bother.
- How to balance your diet: Embrace your inner frugavore
- How to balance your diet: Just one more drink?
- How to balance your diet: What happens on the weekend…
- How to balance your diet: When it all goes pear-shaped
- How to balance your diet: New series on achieving balance
- How to balance your diet: Liquids & solids
While All4Women endeavours to ensure health articles are based on scientific research, health articles should not be considered as a replacement for professional medical advice. Should you have concerns related to this content, it is advised that you discuss them with your personal healthcare provider.