Get ready for an onslaught of checked and plaid prints and patterns – this season’s hottest look…
Once reserved for only rockers, punks and lumberjacks, plaid fashion is definitely making waves this season. It’s a firm favourite among celebs and is an iconic look for the likes of Burberry, Moschino and Givenchy. Check out our tips to help you pull off the trend, and some of our fave plaid clothes in store now.
The print that works on anything
The good news is that check prints work on anything – from dresses, skirts, trousers and shirts to coats and jackets. In addition, they also look fantastic on shoes and accessories like handbags and scarves.
It’s also available in various forms
You’ll see plaid in bold, brightly coloured iterations which usually boast a larger print. Since these styles are usually found on more casual pieces, they’re best for laidback outfits.
On the other hand, you can also opt for tartan prints which can be used to create a chic look or dainter gingham for retro style.
Houndstooth and smaller checks in a monochrome print have an overall classic look. Consider other colours such as blue, yellow and green to modernise this pattern.
Rules for wearing plaid
- Wear one checked print item with neutral hues or denim.
- Make a statement by opting for colour variations.
- Consider textured items such as flannel and knits.
- Don’t wear checked accessories with checked clothes.
- Add boots to your look for a punk vibe.
Plaid fashion we love
- Checked pumps with toe-cap detail R199 Foschini
- Gingham print scarf R40 MRP
- Red and blue soft flannel checked shirt R199.99 The Fix
- A-line midi dress with ruched sleeves R604.25 Woolworths
- Grey leggings with elasticated waist band R380 Truworths