Why does my child get headaches?

There are several possible reasons as to why your child is experiencing headaches. Here are some of these reasons:


Children may get headaches if they are genetically predisposed to it. Migraines have a tendency to run in families so if your husband and/or you get them, your child is most likely to (but not necessarily will) experience the same.

Trauma to the head

Any trauma to the head area can cause headaches, no matter how major or minor it may be. Never ignore any bumps that your child may get to the head area and take all complaints seriously. In serious cases, your child may need immediate medical attention.

Illness or infection

Children may also experience headaches due to common illnesses (for example, the common cold, or flu) or due to sinus and ear infections. Headaches can also be a symptom of more serious infections and illnesses as well.

WIN a R 2,000 Woolworths Voucher

Subscribe to our Free Daily All4Women Newsletter to enter

Psychological factors

Psychological factors such as depression, stress and anxiety can also cause a child to develop headaches. Talk to your child and help them work through their stresses and anxiety. If you feel that your child may require professional help or if you are not sure how to help your child, see the doctor.

Some foods and drinks

Some children experience headaches due to the preservatives and chemical additives found in these foods. Other substances such as caffeine can also trigger headaches. Note that caffeine can also be found in chocolates and cold-drinks and not just tea and coffee.

See the doctor

Take your child to the doctor if he is getting very severe headaches or experiences headaches very often. It is vital for the doctor to find the cause of the headaches so that the condition it is treated and your child will get relief.

While All4Women endeavours to ensure health articles are based on scientific research, health articles should not be considered as a replacement for professional medical advice. Should you have concerns related to this content, it is advised that you discuss them with your personal healthcare provider.