Your washing machine needs fairly regular deep cleaning. This may sound counter-intuitive, since it’s the machine that DOES the cleaning after all…
You may have asked yourself how to deep clean your washing machine, and why it’s necessary! Due to the nature of the laundry we wash (think diapers, cleaning cloths, underwear), the washing machine can, in fact, harbour some dodgy bacteria!
How often should I clean my washing machine?
According to the experts, it’s a good idea to deep clean your washing machine at least once every couple of months. If you have a larger family, you may need to look at doing it even more often.
So how exactly can I deep clean my machine?
Fortunately, deep cleaning your washing machine is actually really simple!
- First use a cloth and disinfectant to wipe out the drawer, drum and the door seals. You can also use plain white vinegar as it helps get rid of the residue left by fabric softeners and washing powder.
- If your machine has a lint collector, make sure to empty it out and give it a good rinse.
- Be sure to wipe in the folds of the seals, where mildew often hides and stagnant water sits.
- Now set the machine to its longest, hottest cycle.
- One or two dishwasher tablets into the drawer of the machine (don’t use the tablets wrapped in plastic)
- Set the machine to ‘wash’
- As the water fills through the drawers, add ½ a bottle of white vinegar through the drawer. Let the cycle complete.
Leave the door open for 10-15 minutes to allow the drum to dry out a little and you’re done! Keeping your washing machine sanitary ensures that no germs or mould can get onto your clothes (and near your skin).
Get more helpful HOUSEHOLD TIPS below:
The internet is EVERYWHERE. And because it’s so important, we all want the best, fastest, and most stable connection to it that we can get.
Here’s a little insight into our personal ‘internet journey’ and why we’ve switched over to Fibre
If you are not careful, your bathroom can also become a hazardous place with dangerous and conceivably deadly possibilities.
Elton is currently planning his retirement from touring
Natural mosquito repellents are a great alternative to chemical-laden repellents that could be as bad for you and your family as they are for the mosquitoes…
A new innovation by Pick n Pay allows for Smart Shopper customers to receive their till slips via email…
(article updated on 21 October 2020)