‘What to do if you have a LOT of weight to lose’ is a series of articles dedicated to the seemingly daunting task of losing lots of weight – think 30kg or more. If you are in this boat then this is the strategy for you. Follow the steps week by week and you’ll soon be on the path to a THINNER and (more importantly) HEALTHIER you.

Cut back on the booze

People who are very overweight who also drink alcohol often seem to be able to drink much more alcohol than slimmer people before showing signs of inebriation. While this is a neat ‘party trick’ it also presents a giant problem in terms of their diet efforts.

You see, most people who drink use the way they feel (on the ‘buzz’ scale) as a way of moderating their alcohol intake. Larger people who drink tend to drink far more because they feel sober for much longer.

Now, I’m all for having a drink or two, but if you’re trying to lose weight alcohol is one of the major obstacles you have to overcome in order to succeed.

You see, every gram of alcohol contains 7 calories

So a double whisky (about the lowest calorie drink) contains over 100 calories. Have three doubles and you’ve added significantly to your daily intake. Have these three doubles with a mixer and you’ve eaten another meal that day.

Subscribe to our Free Daily All4Women Newsletter to enter

If you’re a larger person drinking beer, or double brandy and cola then you may be smashing down an extra 1000 calories or so every time you enjoy some drinks. And if you’re trying to lose weight this is NOT helping you.

Moral of the story? Don’t drink alcohol except on the weekend. And on those occasions only have two drinks. Your options: two glasses of red wine, or two double neat spirits.


Take a look at more tips from the series “What to do if you have a LOT of weight to lose” below:


While All4Women endeavours to ensure health articles are based on scientific research, health articles should not be considered as a replacement for professional medical advice. Should you have concerns related to this content, it is advised that you discuss them with your personal healthcare provider.