It’s that time of the year again. The time that when you get on the scale you don’t even wear earrings because the number must be as low and you need to be as light as possible for the upcoming holidays.
This is a sad time for me because I have never been as light as I would have liked to have been.
I hate diets and I know for a fact that there is no scientific evidence that any diet is successful in the long run. The weight always finds its way back to you.
So this got me thinking, I have never seen an advertisement that really promoted being healthy when it comes to a diet. They might mention health but it is not the main message.
Modern society has us focused on appearance – which can feel important – but it’s not the beginning and the end. I have never taken on a diet with the thought of wanting to live healthier. It’s always been a war between me and the scales., and me wanting to lose the weight and proving that I have the discipline to eat broccoli five times a day for four months.
So I’m going to try something different this year
I am not going to give my scales the satisfaction of winning again.
This year I am not going to go on a diet and basically force myself to eat food I hate. This year I am not going to focus on my weight.
I am going to shift my focus from what the scales say to what my body says. I am going to focus on being healthy.
If you are with me on this one, here are a few tips to avoid the scales and focus on your health instead:
1. When passing the bathroom or where your scales are stationed don’t make eye contact. Avoid the scales like you would your partner when you have an argument.
2. Only one third of the population is gluten intolerant so chances are that you are not. You don’t need to throw the bread away, just try not to eat the whole loaf in one day.
3. Drinks loads of water and make sure you have a decent sized breakfast.
4. Unprocessed carbs are good, they are not the devil.
5. Put on those trainers and take a walk, or a jog. Just become active. It makes you feel good.
6. Relax with the caffeine. You can manage not to punch someone without it.
7. Get enough sleep. No one likes a cranky person and besides, sleep is needed for the brain to switch off, recuperate and reset. (If you are a mom, scratch this tip: it’s not applicable to you!)
8. Don’t buy the beauty magazine with the skinny, perfectly tanned and Photoshopped women on the cover. Avoiding such images will lessen the feeling that you look like a beached whale.
9. Learn to love the way you look, and dress for your body type. No one is more beautiful than someone who is comfortable in her own skin.
10. Repeat all of the above until you see and feel a difference!
While All4Women endeavours to ensure health articles are based on scientific research, health articles should not be considered as a replacement for professional medical advice. Should you have concerns related to this content, it is advised that you discuss them with your personal healthcare provider.