Last updated on Jan 18th, 2021 at 11:35 am
According to the head researcher of the Cancer Association of South Africa, Carl Albrecht, the following 10 foods have cancer fighting properties which could save your life:
1. Whole-grains – Scientists suspect that the husk of whole-grains play a role in lowering cancer rates.
2. Orange juice – Citrus fruits protect the body through their antioxidant properties and by strengthening the immune system through vitamin C. They also hinder tumour growth and can normalise tumour cells.
3. Canola Oil and margarine – These have a healthy balance between omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids, i.e. ratio 2:1. Our bodies cannot produce these fatty acids even though they are essential to our survival.
4. Fish – Fatty fish such as snoek, salmon, tuna and sardines are excellent sources of omega-3 fatty acids. There is evidence that these special fats can help prevent cancer, especially breast cancer.
5. Rooibos tea contains a high amount of antioxidants – the substance that fights harmful molecules in our bodies that can cause chronic diseases, including cancer.
6. Pap – Mealie meal releases substances that fight cancer, such as butyric acid, in the colon. Butyric acid fights of the colon cancer cells produced by cancer-causing chemicals that are formed in charred meat, including braaied meat. Too much red braaied meat can lead to colon cancer. However, if you eat it with pap, the mielie meal is likely to reduce the risk of developing cancer.
7. Tomato products – Tomatoes contain a substance called lycopene that has been found in animal studies to fight cancer. According to Cansa, studies have shown that people who eat diets rich in tomatoes and tomato products such as tomato paste/ sauce or juice have a lower risk of certain cancers particularly cancers of the stomach, lungs and prostrate.
8. Broccoli is the number 1 cancer fighting vegetable, mainly because it contains a high level of sulforaphane, which stimulates the production of enzymes that can deactivate cancer-causing substances.
9. Turmeric – This Indian spice contains curcumin. Researchers have found that curcumin may prevent and slow down the growth of a number of types of cancer, particularly tumours of the mouth, breast, intestines, stomach, skin and oesophagus.
10. Berries – Scientists are not sure what it is in red, blue, or purple berries, that fights cancer, but they suspect that it could be the antioxidants such as anthocyanins and phenols which have anti-inflammatory properties that indirectly prevent cancer.
Source: Mail&Guardian Health 9-15 March 2012
While All4Women endeavours to ensure health articles are based on scientific research, health articles should not be considered as a replacement for professional medical advice. Should you have concerns related to this content, it is advised that you discuss them with your personal healthcare provider.